2250 based custom shop carbine questions

Started by bradyman1, March 10, 2011, 05:40:40 PM

bradyman1

I am about to pull the trigger on a custom shop carbine. I am planning to use it for an all around family/truck/hunting gun. I will plink with it most of the time. I really want my son (will be 7 soon) and my wife to be able to shoot it. I hope that my son gets his first squirrel with it. Hunting will be between 16 and 27 yards or so. Plinking may go out to 60 yards or so (at soda can sized targets and larger). So my question is .22 or .177? And should I go with the 14.6"or 18" barrel? I am really leaning toward .22. I have a crosman Titan, and a 1377 and I prefer the .22 pellet. I know trajectory will be more loopy, but the down range power is still greater with .22.

What would you suggest?
How long will the gun be with the 14.6" or the 18" barrel?
Will I get a huge FPS advantage with the 18" barrel?

Thanks for the help!

Jason
Jason

Nate

if you plan on hunting AT ALL with it i would go with the .22 because of power. and i find for reaching out at further ranges the wing will effect it less. if you are concerned about ballistics, use this link to calculate trajectory  http://www.airguns.net/trajectory.php. this works best if you have a scope with tactical turrets on it because you will be bale to reset your zero much easier than with regular targets

Rualert

I to agree with  22 cal, and the 18" barrel will let you get all the energy available running on CO2.

Just my 2 cents.

Casey

Crosshairs

Yep .22 and the 18" barrel is the way to go.if you are shooting at 60 yards hell yes.
                         Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

quickster47 †

8) I must agree with Nate, Casey, and Mike, go with the .22.  And while you will not see a huge advantage/increase in FPS with the 18" barrel, you will definitely see an increase.  There will also be more downrange energy available with .22 caliber.

You won't be disappointed.

And that s my 3 cents worth.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

bradyman1

Does anyone know what the overall length is of this gun? (obviously dependent on barrel length but I can add and subtract, post what you got and I can do the math from there  :))
Jason

Crosshairs

My 2250XE is 32" with a 18" barrel and stock.BTW i gained 100 fps with a 24" barrel on my 1377.  :-*
                        Mike

Crosshairs

Quote from: quickster47 on March 10, 2011, 06:30:52 PM
I must agree with Nate and Casey, go with the .22.  And while you will not see a huge advantage/increase in FPS with the 18" barrel, you will definitely see an increase.  There will also be more downrange energy available with .22 caliber.

You won't be disappointed.

And that s my 3 cents worth.

Carl

i guess i was not there  ;D

quickster47 †

Me thinks you were posting while I was typing Mister Mike.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

eric

my custom shop witha 14.6" barrel and stock is just over 30 inches and i would quesstimate about 10 fps per inch/barrel so you probably see an increase in velocity. maybe MAX 50 fps ,probably less  ???    
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

Crosshairs

Yes Sir i saw that someone was typeing. ;D that happen the other day also. we all thinking together lol.
                          Mike

timo83

Definitely go with the .22 and the 18" barrel. Especially if your using it for hunting. You want to make sure its a clean kill.

Tim

bradyman1

Quote from: eric on March 10, 2011, 11:07:04 PM
my custom shop witha 14.6" barrel and stock is just over 30 inches and i would quesstimate about 10 fps per inch/barrel so you probably see an increase in velocity. maybe MAX 50 fps ,probably less  ???    

I assume this is the .22 version? Do you have any mods to it? What FPS are you getting? How many shots per cart?  Sorry for all the questions. I am really leaning toward the .22 14.6" to keep it more compact especially if I put a LDC on it. I can always but an 18" barrel later if I decide I would like a bit more length.
Jason

eric

Quote from: bradyman1 on March 16, 2011, 06:30:48 PM
I assume this is the .22 version? Do you have any mods to it? What FPS are you getting? How many shots per cart?  Sorry for all the questions. I am really leaning toward the .22 14.6" to keep it more compact especially if I put a LDC on it. I can always but an 18" barrel later if I decide I would like a bit more length.
it is a .22 and for shot count and velocity i cant say really.it is in stock form but it has a hammer spring guide with a little more preload added .probably 30 decent shots this way in 40/50 degrees ,maybe more as i really haven't counted .my chrony isn't working so i have no numbers .i had it set up in .177 before with a light hammer spring and got around 60 shots in 40/50 degrees.
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

bradyman1

Jason