What is the furthest i should expect for accuracy (1377)

Started by dntouch, April 02, 2011, 06:19:47 PM

dntouch

Hello everyone new to this forum and like many i have some questions ( maybe too many questions ), but this looks like a good group of approachable people so here it goes.

I have never really been in to owning any sort of gun over the years, but recently it seems every squirrel in the S.E. WI. area has found refuge in my yard and they eat all my bird food.

I live 1 mile away from a Gander Mountain and decided to pick up a pellet rifle, i paid for and brought home a Gamo 1200 FPS .177. Got it home, took it out of the box, fired it once and said holy crap,, put it back in the box and returned it. It was waaaay too loud for my area, i may as well have bought a .22 rim fire rifle. Ironically right above the Gamo's what they had on display was the 1377. I did a bit of research on a bunch of guns before i went back to the store and looked at prices and such and it seemed every review of the 1377 was postive. So i came home and ordered from Amazon, being a Prime memeber it was free shipping and 20.00 cheaper than Gander Mountain.

So i have had the gun now for a couple weeks and i'm extremely impressed by this little thing to say the least. I am not a person that leaves anything alone if it can be modded so i started doing some digging. So far i have ordered an 18" barrel (crowned and polished) from A.C. Customs, a Crooked Barn ultimate breech, a 2289 forearm, 1399 rear stock adapter, Mellon Air stainless bolt "vented" and bolt handle, A.C. Customs adjustable flat top piston and valve.  My dad who is near retirement made me 3 different types of muzzle breaks machined from aluminum ( a price that cant be beat )..

Anything you guys can add to this list of mods would be a huge help. What are some other parts i am going to need to bring this thing together, seals or springs etc,,...

TIA Chris

So i have been shooting at and hitting golf balls from 80 ft' away that are hanging on ropes tied to a PVC frame . WIth no scope i figure heck thats pretty good. But after i get the breech and mount a scope what should i expect for accuracy when all the parts come together. What scope should i use.? Why is the Red Dot mentioned sooo much on the airgun forums? Is it weight savings, or just ease of use.?

airguns100

In all honesty 1200 fps is more suitable for pest control.
If i were going to use a 1377 for pest control, i'd probably go with the following parts.
-24" (.22 caliber) barrel cut and crowned.
-FT piston and modified valve (with increased volume + dura 70 orings)
-discovery hammer spring
-steel or aluminum breech
-Leapers Bug buster A.O scope
-Heavy hitting pellets

That should provide you with enough power to do things humanly at 30 ~ 35 feet.
It wouldn't be humane to try and go for 40+ feet (with out those mods). that's just my opinion.

Like i said 1200fps is more appropriate for pest control.

hth.
-Rye
The OG gangster of the "bling"

eric

shot placement is KEY in lower power guns.a proven hunting pellet is the predator.depending on how hot your gun is i wouldn't stretch it past 40 yards.
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

dntouch

Well what i like about the the 1377 is the fact that i can give a nice tap in the ass with out killing them (variable pumps). I understand the "humane" aspect of it but honestly i've seen quite a drop in squirrels lately. Not that they dont come around at all, just not as much.
I have all the pieces "on order" and havent recieved a single piece yet, so everything shot so far is with a stock pistol.  I'm hoping to see quite a gain in velocity/accuracy when i get the pieces and put them all to use at once.

I'm going to look into the "discovery hammer spring" right now.

Thanks

Darth

I agree with both airguns100 and eric

Well, it sounds to me like you are well on the way to a ââ,¬Å"hard hittingââ,¬Â pest controller. The AC flat top is a great improvement along with the 18ââ,¬Â barrel.

It also sounds like you have some ââ,¬Å"machining talentsââ,¬Â, I would also look into some valve modifications as well, doing valve modifications = FREE HORSEPOWER.

Perhaps transfer port modifications as well, dig around on this site and youââ,¬â,,¢ll find ââ,¬Â¦ well ââ,¬Â¦ to many good options.

I wouldnââ,¬â,,¢t be surprised if you get over 700 fps without a whole lot of work.

Like eric said ââ,¬Â¦ 40 yards sounds reasonable to me ââ,¬Â¦ as long as you can hit what your shooting at, your in good shape. If the predators are accurate in your setup ... use 'em, otherwise ... use what you can hit with. I had one gun that didn't like predators ... so ... no use in shooting them, right ??

Darth
The Force Is With You Young Lead Slinger ... But You Are Not A Crosman Yet ...

http://kawasakitriples.myfastforum.org/index.php

Nate

i know that with my 1377c bullpup, i can shoot 8 shot quarter shot groups at 10 meters, and with my 2289G about the same, and my 2289g shots at 495 fps in .22 and i have killed pigeons at 20 meters with it, but it needs to be a head shot or shot to the back as the breast is to hard to peneterate

dntouch

Quote from: Darth on April 02, 2011, 07:27:40 PM
The AC flat top is a great improvement along with the 18ââ,¬Â barrel.

It also sounds like you have some ââ,¬Å"machining talentsââ,¬Â, I would also look into some valve modifications as well, doing valve modifications = FREE HORSEPOWER.

Perhaps transfer port modifications as well, dig around on this site and youââ,¬â,,¢ll find ââ,¬Â¦ well ââ,¬Â¦ to many good options.

The "FREE HORSEPOWER" you refer to.... Isnt that what i'm buying with the AC customs "Power Mod" valve? The tranfer port is something else i need to research a bit more.

arkmaker †

Quote from: Nate on April 02, 2011, 08:02:39 PM
i know that with my 1377c bullpup, i can shoot 8 shot quarter shot groups at 10 meters, and with my 2289G about the same, and my 2289g shots at 495 fps in .22 and i have killed pigeons at 20 meters with it, but it needs to be a head shot or shot to the back as the breast is to hard to peneterate

You're gonna get a bit more power with the new Flat Top set-up!!!! Almost there...................... :-*
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Darth

Quote from: dntouch on April 02, 2011, 08:12:41 PM
The "FREE HORSEPOWER" you refer to.... Isnt that what i'm buying with the AC customs "Power Mod" valve? The tranfer port is something else i need to research a bit more.

Oh, I thought you were only going to have him "flat top" your original valve. Sorry, and I thought I REALLY read your post  :-[
The "Power Mod" valve should serve you well.

Darth
The Force Is With You Young Lead Slinger ... But You Are Not A Crosman Yet ...

http://kawasakitriples.myfastforum.org/index.php

1377x

as far as power goes i used a bone stock 1377 for years on pests 100% dropped on the spot out to 14 yds. shot placement is the key
i upgraded to .22 using the following
2289/2250 barrel with bolt to match extended probe,2289 barrel band
steel breech
4x32 rws 350 scope
modded piston using a 130 head (flat top piston in other words)
valve modded by me(ported angled light valve spring-used my trigger spring for this & flat topped)
i dont recommend boring the valve its going to take you more pumps to get where you need to be and the gain isnt all that great.im adding a spacer to my valve to reduce the volume hoping its going to take less pumps to get to where i want to be
i have taken pests out 40 yds(18 pumps) no problem but the majority of my pesting is under 20 yds(12-15 pumps) ,still shot placement is the key
there are many ways to mod your gun none of them are the wrong way its all personal preference
oh yeah your going to need a muzzle brake,ldc after the mods -mine got noisy with a little muzzle flip-it kicks like a rimfire pistol and almost sounds like one using sub sonic rounds
closed mouths dont get fed

Crosshairs

I also used a bone stock 1377 for years and 15 yeards would be my limit,just make sure you can make the shot and make a clean kill.
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

bdb12586

My landlord had a real bad rabbit problem, getting into his garden so I went and bought my first crosman 1322. Seemed like I took a hundred rabbits with that gun over the summer I lived there, a good 60-70 foot most shots were. No problem at all.

T191032

"I live 1 mile away from a Gander Mountain and decided to pick up a pellet rifle, i paid for and brought home a Gamo 1200 FPS .177. Got it home, took it out of the box, fired it once and said holy crap,, put it back in the box and returned it. It was waaaay too loud for my area, i may as well have bought a .22 rim fire rifle."

Were you shooting those little gold colored "PBA Raptors" that probably came "free" with the 1200 air rifle?  Yea, they sound like a .22 LR out of a springer.  I fired about 2-3 out of a Shadow and 3 in a Crosman 760 . . . oh yea, those crappy little things got stuck in my 760.  A good lead pellet may still have had a little sound, but it would have "smack" as they say too.

I can't really advise on the hunting aspect, but common sense prevails.  Accuracy is key, but if you're losing it past a certain point, that's your best range for the "humane".  I've never used my airguns to actively hunt with; though the CZ631 has been called in to service to "advise" squirrels that they are not allowed to come up to a certain part of the yard. [ Think the movie "Hard Target" with the arrows that just pass by the bad guys in slow motion ]  They run when they see me now, no gun needed.  ;)  Trouble is, they're getting back up close to the house again, the little brats.
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

dntouch

Quote from: T191032 on April 03, 2011, 03:31:02 AM

Were you shooting those little gold colored "PBA Raptors" that probably came "free" with the 1200 air rifle?  Yea, they sound like a .22 LR out of a springer.  I fired about 2-3 out of a Shadow and 3 in a Crosman 760 . . . oh yea, those crappy little things got stuck in my 760.  A good lead pellet may still have had a little sound, but it would have "smack" as they say too.

Yep those sound right. To say i was a bit suprised would have been an understatement.

Thanks everyone for your input so far.

I'm sure i'll be building another gun as soon as i get this one done i just need to ecide which one should be next.

Bentong

Quote from: dntouch on April 02, 2011, 07:23:10 PM
Well what i like about the the 1377 is the fact that i can give a nice tap in the ass with out killing them (variable pumps). I understand the "humane" aspect of it but honestly i've seen quite a drop in squirrels lately. Not that they dont come around at all, just not as much.
I have all the pieces "on order" and havent recieved a single piece yet, so everything shot so far is with a stock pistol.  I'm hoping to see quite a gain in velocity/accuracy when i get the pieces and put them all to use at once.

I'm going to look into the "discovery hammer spring" right now.

Thanks
If you have a flat top and then pump it higher than 15, a stiff spring like the disco will make it dump all the air in one shot. Question is, are you going to be needing to go 15+ pump on a regular basis? If not, Mellon power adjuster will be best. It will be much friendly on your internals and not make a lot of hammer smacking the valve stem at full force which can prematurely stress it. Got mine pre-set to dump air with <15 pumps and that's 783 fps with 7.9cpl. I only pump her 10 for squirrels <25 yrds and get 707fps with same pellet. The most I've pumped her was 20 for 828.7 fps and that's plenty for up to 50 yrds.