whats your motivation

Started by tatsumi, April 19, 2011, 12:26:26 AM

tatsumi

Just out of interest, whats peoples motivation behind there creations in the crosman range?

The questions comes from a post I made on another forum where an owner of a different kind took issue on a few crosman owners(me included) spending money on our choice of brand.

For me its my hobby and sport but also its grown more on the custom side with my 22xx's as I get to tweek things just how I like them and work on a chosen look, plus with a young family I dont get to shoot much these days so I can keep my hand in still and maintain the interest.

Whats your storys?

AA S200 MK2 .22 multishot, Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 IR with Decimeater Moderator
AS2250XT custom .22, Hawke 2-7x32 AO IR with UK Neil Shroud
2240 custom .22, Hawke RD30SR with Porky Moderator

quickster47 †

I do it because it is so much fun.  You can take a small amount of money and buy either a 2240 or 1377 and go from there.  The sky is the limit as to what you can do with either platform.  And when you finish, you have the satisfaction of making a hot rod out of a Volkswagen or turning a piece of coal into a diamond.

But truthfully, who really cares what others think about how we spend our time and our money.  It is our choice to do with it as we see fit.  If others can not see the fun in doing what we do, it is their loss and for them we should feel sorry for they are missing some of the best doing and learning there is in the airgun world.

I could write more but I'm sure you understand what I'm saying.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

I do it 'cause I am a sick sick sick sick  man! And oh yeah, it's fun too! Seriously, I always loved airguns. Now that I am older, with a hair more patience, I can mess around and change up some parts by buyoing or making them. Then there is this forum which has overloaded my feeble mind with more ideas than I ever thought possible, so I found a new hobby that should remain fun for a long time to come!!  :-*

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

woody67

Noone could ever understand me because I like too many things, and get all confused and hung up running from one falling star to the next til I drop.

So, really, all I can say is I do it because I like it.

62Falcon

Simple, it is one of my hobbies! I love spending time with my airguns, fishing poles, RC Helicopters, personal computers, and my hand held GPS receiver for geocaching. If it brings you pleasure, then do it!

~Falcon
Crosman 1377C - 1399 Stock - Barska 30mm RDS

mr007s

If I dont spend it all now the kids will get it!

62Falcon

Crosman 1377C - 1399 Stock - Barska 30mm RDS

tatsumi

Some good answers there:) +2 on the kids bit also

Cross Pistol Packer

I started off collecting old Crosman airguns,then the modding bug hit me,sold quite a few of my Crosman collection,and decided to shoot the things more rather than just looking at them,to make a good gun perform & look better than Crosman intended gives me a buzz :)
Ray.
Crosmans, start as a hobby,then an obsession...

NorthStaR

For me, I love all things sharp and shootable. Guns, knives, swords and anything in between! Even got body armor!

Always had airguns since a small kid, before I was legally allowed too (sssh). My brothers and I inherited an old BSA
- Major I think but maybe a cadet? I used to combat roll around the garden shooting potatoes on bamboo canes!
Safety wasn't even heard of!

Over years I bought various pistols - some air (metal bb, lead, airsoft & paint), some blank firers and some just spanish replicas. I think towards the end of last year I found a picture of one of 'Zoned' creations. I may have been looking at magpul
and found one of his rifles with an m4 stock on it. That was it. Thanks Zoned, I haven't had a balance in my bank account since!

My motivation/inspiration comes from two sources really - movies and you guys!
Old movies, 50's - late 70's I guess. Things like Scorpio in Dirty harry, skeleton rifle in Day of the Jackal, and
probably a major one is James Bond. His gadgets and guns - probably why the Mark 1 is so damn nice - ruger style
like the first Bond movie posters. The brassy scifi attraction is probably from the film Dune.

"Try looking into that place where you dare not look. You'll find me there, staring back at you!" Dune  ;)

One last thing (apart from you guys + gunsmiths and machine artists) it is a hobby I can pursue/obsess without the need for anyone else. No partner required like in other sports and hobbies. Its a personal hobby and independent if you want it to be.
It sounds selfish but my other hobbies haven't been so fulfilling - except fish keeping.

A bit of a lone-wolf or in this case Air-wolf!  ;D

I also find when a group of friends get together, multiple airguns, common sense drops away and many barrels
end up pointing in faces as people talk and don't think where things are pointing!  8)
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

1377x

my motivation started during the ammo crunch no way was i going to pay that much for ammo,at the time pellets were still cheap.
i had to fix my dad's old phase 2 1377 and have been addicted ever since.tried the potent pcp's but pumpers have my addiction,trying an old crosman 357 to see how i like co2 .my addiction needs flavor
closed mouths dont get fed

tatsumi

Dune, classic film and my fav closely followed by patton and "the thing".

I find it interesting that you US guys are into airguns as much as you are haveing pritty much what you want at your finger tips, a .50 cal sniper rifle would be on the list for sure but I guess constraints hit us all in different ways and state to state laws sound very confusing. Crosman seem to have got it right for all backgrounds,keep it up!

woody67

a .50 cal sniper rifle would be fun, but the neighbors definitely wouldn't like the sound!

tatsumi

Very true :) id just be happy to look at it
Quote from: woody67 on April 19, 2011, 08:36:22 PM
a .50 cal sniper rifle would be fun, but the neighbors definitely wouldn't like the sound!

woody67

See, I wouldn't. I can't walk past my guns without picking them up and giving the trigger a squeeze. Sometimes I find myself loading a pellet without realizing that I have nothing to shoot at, in which case it ends up being fired into a pellet trap box or a piece of 'testing' wood.

I take breaks from work during the day to shoot 5 or 10 pellets every so often--it's like my cigarette break I guess ???

I would want to shoot at targets a mile away every single day if I had a firearm like that around. That's why I leave them at the Farm upstate NY...600 acres of mountains in the adirondacks---plenty of room to shoot with noone around to bother!