free target grips for your newby story

Started by hellgrips98, August 26, 2011, 01:40:03 AM

breakfastchef

As much as I would love to share a touching story about airgunning, I cannot match those already told. I am new to this forum and recently new to airguiing after a 30+ year break from firearms. As a wee chap I had a Daisy underlever BB gun. I shot just about everthing a child could shoot in the coutryside of SE Pennsylvania. My favorite kill was a bublebee feeding on one of mom's flowers. I did not realize I may have interuppted the important sexual act of pollination.

Nonetheless, my youth was mainly spent shooting .22 rimfire rifles. I shot saplings until they fell, tried to take out pigeons at long range without knowing about holdover, and did NRA target competition in summer camp. My shooting world revolved areound the .22.

Fast forward to a month or so ago when I won a refurbished PC77 from Airgun Depot. Well, sorry for my wallet. I learned about this forum and rekindled a love of shooting that began 30+ years ago. I have made a modified PC77 with a scope and received a Custom Crosman 2300KT with iron sights. My Gamo Carbine Sport is my only air rifle. I set up a 10M range in my basement and shoot several hours each week. This is such a great hobby.

In a short time I have collected extra parts and am already planning another 1377 build for a friend here in the mountains. Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and depth of information.
Larry

NorthStaR

I have a very small story to tell......

.......the End.  ;)
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

hellgrips98

http://hellgrips98.webs.com/ click here to see my exotic wood grips

crossy72

right,here goes,newbie shooters me and my twelve year old son,been looking for a pistol for a couple of months,crosman and many others were in the mix,said to my lad we would buy after our summer hols,low and behold on our hols we were at a country fare and came across the 2300t at double right money we went away like excited school kids,i told my lad we were doing nothing with it until we got home,on getting home we loaded the co2 and a pellet and began our shooting ,the look on my lads face and the excitement of shooting is priceless to a father,he never thought i would get an air pistol,but secretly i have been waiting for him to come of age(well 12 years old)he thinks iam the daddy and iam loving the fact were learning something new together
nick and alex :-*

JEBert

Here is my newbe story mostly as I posted in my first post upon joining this forum in May of this year.

I am a military brat and live in Shreveport, Louisiana.  The first gun I owned that actually shot anything out of the barrel was a Daisy "Spittin Image" that I got for Christmas in 1963.  I was 9 years old and in the fourth grade.  I cannot tell you what happened to that gun because 3 years later, I graduated to a single-shot .410 and soon after that our house burned down.  The BB-gun may have been worn out by then or it may have perished in the fire.  I just do not remember.
I do remember, however, that several of my friends owned "Benjamin Pumps" as we called them in the '60's.  One friend even had a Benjamin Pump Pistol.  Back then, I wanted a multi-pump badly but couldn't come up with the cash to own one.
Since becoming an adult, I have owned, shot and reloaded for more firearms than I care to recall.  I probably couldn't remember all of them anyway.  I still have a few of each kind except for the black powder variety as those were not mine and I no longer reside near any of their owners.  The price of primers, powder, bullets, range fees, and fuel for transportation are all taking a toll on my shooting opportunities.
About 10 years ago, we were watching Northern Yellow-shafted Flickers raise babies in a dead tree in our backyard when they were accosted by European Starlings (non-native, and invasive).  The Flicker parents were doing a good job of holding the starlings off for the most part.  One morning SWMBO woke me up crying.  “The Starlings have killed the woodpecker babies” she cried.  Well, that gave me a perfect excuse to go buy a Benjamin.
I purchased a PA 397 for $99.99 at the local Academy Sports and sighted it in for about 15 yards (we have a small backyard inside the city limits.)  Several Starlings will no longer accost anything.  Starlings must have some sort of communication system as they do not visit our trees at all anymore.  I also used it to keep my marksmanship honed on the rats that tried dining at our backyard bird feeders.  Oh, the Flickers raised another brood that year and the next year too for a total of four years in a row before the tree finally fell down.
I put a William's peep on the Benji and took the original rear sight off.  I also polished all of the trigger/sear contact surfaces I could and played around with springs but never got the trigger exactly where I want it.  It does not seem to lend itself to modifications as well as the 1377.  Does anyone have any ideas on improving the Benji trigger?
While Christmas shopping last December (2010), I ran across the Crosman 1377 at the same Academy Sports store and noticed that it was $49.99.  I couldn't believe that it was that low.  I continued shopping but couldn't get my mind off of the Classic.  I saw it again in February and to my surprise, the price had not gone up.  I realized that I would not be able to think clearly or function properly until I had one.
Well, now I have two.  During the modifying of the first one, there were too many choices to make, so I had to have another.  That was still before Academy raised the price back up to $54.99.  I have two different style carbines now am also the proud owner of a Crosman Custom Shop 2300KT, slightly modified, of course.  Most of y’all have seen all three of them and some of the modifying process as well in my posts.
It is hard to say what I like most about the 1377.  It is inexpensive to own (well, depending on how far you take the mods) and cheap to shoot as the air is free, and pellets are not much more than the air.  The worse part is finding a place to shoot.  A few starlings here or there wouldn’t attract too much attention, even in the city limits but I am afraid that target practice in the back yard is out of the question. I have found that I can shoot in my shed if I climb through the junk to set a target at the far end.
You guys can take a lot of the credit for what my guns are.  Lurking here for the past few months has given me a lot of ideas and helped me form my opinion of what I wanted them to be.  If only the bank account would cooperate.
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

slothart

Crosman: 1377carbine / Beeman: Tempest / Benjamin: P-Rod, 310 & 342 / Sheridan: Blue Streak & Blue Streak Steroid (both rockers) / AA TX200HC

JEBert

Yes, I have done most of those items pointed out on that site.  Not much difference noted.  I believe that the most improvement will come from a SuperSear and intend to purchase one if my funding holds out.  The angle that the sear is cut on the surface that holds the hammer is required to raise the hammer against the hammer spring to let it off.  A SuperSear is supposed to remedy this.  Actually, I was hoping that someone would chime in and tell me that a _XX _youfillintheblank_ rifle trigger set would fit it and it has a drop sear system.
Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

jglover

Well, I posted the quick story in my intro here:

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=4632.0

plus tomorrow's my birthday and my son's birthday is the 9th of September!  ;)

John

hellgrips98

azzbat2387

not in the comp but i have a funny airgun related story . the short version .  freind had a b2 which at the  time i thought was amazing >.< anyway friend starts small fire in garden puts a deoderant can in it and shoots can goes throuh shed window and burns down shed and all his dads tools except a hammer that was in the house which his dad used to beat the b2 beyond use infront of us . then when his dad calmed down and went in to watch tv he started to rage again wondering why and feeling brave i asked  the small fire we lit on the gravel had the sky cable under it and we had melted it !!!! the result gun broken sky broken shed burnt me bnned from the house for 3 months and his dad has never spoken to me again even 10 years later

aaron :)

grumpy

Oh must a been about 1975, I was 8 years old and my pops took me down in the basement of our apartment building. It was a pretty wide open space. He sets up a target and grabs a old Benji from the corner that I never noticed before. He then sets out to teach me to shoot. I must a picked it up pretty good cause a few weeks later he says get your shoes on boy, were going to the range. I figured it was back to the basement. Nope he took me to my first out door range.

So I am hanging around watching him and his best buddy shot a new to him black power musket. He sees me eying everyone else shooting and say you wanna take a crack at it. My eyes lite up and a huge chit eating grin came across my face. I said heck yeah ! So there he is trying to show me how to how this gun thats gotta be more then a foot and a half taller then me. So I sit my butt down on the bench, my dad says hold it tight and pull the trigger when your ready, but what ever you do hold on to her ! I sat there for all of a few second and yanked that trigger back while trying to hold on to her. Next thing I know I am on the ground, looking up at half the range laughing their butts off at me.

That damn gun knock me head over heals off the bench, I don't remember where the gun ended up, but when I finally stood up all I remember was having an ass full of splinters from that old wood bench. Was the last time I ever shot that darn thing !

Oh an you should a seem my moms face when I told her dad had to take me to the john at the range so he could pick splinters outta my rear. I think she chased him round the block with a broom for an hour...

arkmaker †

Classic!! ;D

Quote from: grumpy on September 18, 2011, 04:39:37 AM
Oh must a been about 1975, I was 8 years old and my pops took me down in the basement of our apartment building. It was a pretty wide open space. He sets up a target and grabs a old Benji from the corner that I never noticed before. He then sets out to teach me to shoot. I must a picked it up pretty good cause a few weeks later he says get your shoes on boy, were going to the range. I figured it was back to the basement. Nope he took me to my first out door range.

So I am hanging around watching him and his best buddy shot a new to him black power musket. He sees me eying everyone else shooting and say you wanna take a crack at it. My eyes lite up and a huge chit eating grin came across my face. I said heck yeah ! So there he is trying to show me how to how this gun thats gotta be more then a foot and a half taller then me. So I sit my butt down on the bench, my dad says hold it tight and pull the trigger when your ready, but what ever you do hold on to her ! I sat there for all of a few second and yanked that trigger back while trying to hold on to her. Next thing I know I am on the ground, looking up at half the range laughing their butts off at me.

That damn gun knock me head over heals off the bench, I don't remember where the gun ended up, but when I finally stood up all I remember was having an ass full of splinters from that old wood bench. Was the last time I ever shot that darn thing !

Oh an you should a seem my moms face when I told her dad had to take me to the john at the range so he could pick splinters outta my rear. I think she chased him round the block with a broom for an hour...
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

NorthStaR

Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

laptopdragon

Quote from: azzbat2387 on September 18, 2011, 04:04:07 AM
not in the comp but i have a funny airgun related story . the short version .  freind had a b2 which at the  time i thought was amazing >.< anyway friend starts small fire in garden puts a deoderant can in it and shoots can goes throuh shed window and burns down shed and all his dads tools except a hammer that was in the house which his dad used to beat the b2 beyond use infront of us . then when his dad calmed down and went in to watch tv he started to rage again wondering why and feeling brave i asked  the small fire we lit on the gravel had the sky cable under it and we had melted it !!!! the result gun broken sky broken shed burnt me bnned from the house for 3 months and his dad has never spoken to me again even 10 years later

aaron :)

dont care who yare, dat dares funny. !

hellgrips98

pretty soon we have to vote for the winner  ;)