another hdd

Started by 1377x, November 09, 2011, 08:20:55 PM

dennismenace

that's goood to hear,  that it seems to be working.

am i wrong (still have plenty to learn) but, from everything i've read about hdd's isn't an increased shot count inherent in one, that is functioning properly?

i hope this thing really does work well and i hope the guy making them sells a blue million of them if they do. :-*
definitely keeping an eye on this. :o

easy ya'll.

quickster47 †

Quote from: breakfastchef on November 20, 2011, 04:39:09 AM
Leave the end cap off the breech. It should cock.

The HDD is just long enough to require that you remove some of the end cap material. Not to the screw hole, but some amount.

Good point Larry.   :)  I guess I've been using them so long that I forget about some of that stuff.  I also went to Lowes and picked up some 1/4" black plastic plugs and use them to fill the hole.  Although not necessary, it does clean up the rear of the gun.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

Quote from: quickster47 on November 20, 2011, 01:51:48 PM
Good point Larry.   :)  I guess I've been using them so long that I forget about some of that stuff.  I also went to Lowes and picked up some 1/4" black plastic plugs and use them to fill the hole.  Although not necessary, it does clean up the rear of the gun.

Carl

Good idea! Never thought of Ca-plugs!!!
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

dpricenator

ok, what does HDD stand for, and is this something I have to have? 

I know I don't have to have anything, but here is why I ask.  I have a BOSS valve i put in for more FPS, but t's eating my CO2.  if I used one of these, would I increase my shot count, and keep the FPS?  And how are we supposed to remove a portion of the end cap?  Are all airgunners machinists?

quickster47 †

Quote from: dpricenator on November 22, 2011, 01:40:06 AM
ok, what does HDD stand for, and is this something I have to have? 

I know I don't have to have anything, but here is why I ask.  I have a BOSS valve i put in for more FPS, but t's eating my CO2.  if I used one of these, would I increase my shot count, and keep the FPS?  And how are we supposed to remove a portion of the end cap?  Are all airgunners machinists?

HDD = Hammer Debounce Device

So why is a HDD necessary?  Well, glad you asked that.  The problem with the Crosman 22xx CO2 guns is hammer bounce (repeatedly hitting the exhaust valve, releasing small burps of CO2) and that wastes gas.  So anything you can do to keep the hammer from repeatedly striking the valve will improve (lessen) the CO2 usage.  Therefore, less CO2 gets wasted when the hammer isn't bouncing into the valve multiple times per trigger pull.  The design of the HDD for Crosman pistols allows the hammer to fly forward without any drag, but as soon as it starts snapping backward the HDD expands against the walls of the bolt bore and brakes it.  This stops the hammer from opening the valve multiple times as it bounces back and forth between the hammer spring and valve spring tension, which obviously just wastes gas.

The HDD fits over the hammer's cocking pin, with the slot/opening facing backward.  The opening/slot is what makes the device expand; the hammer snapping backwards makes the pin attempt to back out of that opening/slot and makes the body expand in the bolt bore, creating friction to slow the hammer.  Forward motion isn't restricted though, so your shot velocity remains unaffected.  You just get way more shots per fill since it isn't re-opening the valve after the pellet's already gone.

It's also worth mentioning that the gun is a lot quieter with the HDD installed.  I actually shot a string with the HDD installed first, and then took it out to shoot "without HDD" string.  The gun sounded like a cannon after I'd gotten used to the quiet volume of the gun with the HDD.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

slothart

Hey Carl,

Are you planning on trying the HDD on multiple aftermarket breeches?
I'm guessing they all have slightly different variances in the bolt tube diameter and I'm curious if there is an optimum combination with this HDD or if one with a tighter fit would cause issues with its function. 

I'm mainly curious on how well it works with a Cothran breech.  Figured it might be an interesting additional experiment.  ;)
Thanks for taking the time to post your results.  I'm finding it very interesting.

m
Crosman: 1377carbine / Beeman: Tempest / Benjamin: P-Rod, 310 & 342 / Sheridan: Blue Streak & Blue Streak Steroid (both rockers) / AA TX200HC

quickster47 †

I do happen to have a Cothran breech laying around so Imight just give it a try and see if there is any difference in the way it works.  Think I will also send Steven another eMail and ask which breech he used for his testing.

Good point Mr. Slothart.  :)

I'm still shooting my 2240 with the HDD and might be getting close to emptying my first powerlet.  Shot count so far is about 50.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

dpricenator

I'm all ears and reaching or the pocket book.  However, I need to know if I have to modify the rear cap in order to use it.  If I do, I'll have to send someone my cap or take it to a machinist.

quickster47 †

You can do without the cap.  It is only there for cosmetic reasons and serves no useful purpose other than aesthetics.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

JEBert

DP,
If you follow Carl's advice and take the rear cap off, send it to one of us and let us grind some off of the front of it.  I will do it for you but I don't have one of those HDD's so I will need to know how much to take off.  I will have to use a grinder.  One of these guys that has a lathe might do a better job but they might want to charge you something too.
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

dpricenator

Quote from: quickster47 on November 22, 2011, 06:04:32 PM
You can do without the cap.  It is only there for cosmetic reasons and serves no useful purpose other than aesthetics.

Carl

again I am an idiot....this piece goes in the breech, not the air tube.  I don't have a cap, and at some point I have got to stop putting money into a free gun I didn't need.  But at this point it is my favorite gun.  My QB-57 is pretty sick, but it is not as easily wielded as the 2240.  Sounds like I can just toss the HDD in there and be off to the races.  Thanks guys

quickster47 †

Here are a couple of pictures.  One is the breech and the opening in the rear.  You can see the screw that passes through the breech.  The other picture is the metal plug that comes with the Crosman Long Steel Breech kit.  If you add an HDD and use the Crosman breech you can NOT use the plug unless you trim it.  If your breech had no plug you are good to go.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

laptopdragon

Quote from: Crosshairs on November 17, 2011, 11:44:13 PM
Who the hell is Steve   ;D

x2.
not to troll, but it matters less on who did it first, and alternatively matters more on who does it best.

theres also a saying : theft is the ultimate compliment.

not saying that implies to this case, as im just sayin, and who can say what inspires what...
who made the first tv ?
do we care ?
does it matter ?no, we got t.v. and our culture developed extremely fast due to it...and as important as it is in our lives, i doubt 1% of its devoted fallowers know who did it first.

but if i were to guess on steve, is he has a napolean complex, and doesn't know the feeling of content.  (now thats trolling).

and thanks quickster for the explanations of the HDD...(to me, and HDD is a legacy harddrive, as the sdd are all teh rage)..nice pix.
i take it that this HDD is not for pump guns..

dpricenator

you are the man Carl,  thanks

grumpy

Hey Carl,

Did you notice any difference in shot count, with and without the new HDD ?

I have mine installed but its just so cold here the 2240 is on the back burner while I get my sons new Disco sorted out.

Dave