Red Dot sights ... very, very small dot.

Started by Washbush, August 27, 2012, 08:17:51 PM

Washbush

Hi Gents ...

Thanks to everyone who posted here.  You have given me exactly what I needed to think about.  I have come to a decision as to what to get ... sort of ... and I'll tell you how my thinking went. 

First of all,  I am tired of cheap junk that doesn't work as advertised.  I point no fingers because I went out and bought everything I have.  I tried to get by on low price and good looks. It didn't work.

Second, I have already spent at least $200 in the last few years on sighting stuff.  I bought 5 items with an average cost of $40+.  Even though I thought they each were neat when I got them, now I don't.  I suspect that as I have become a better shooter, I have passed by their abilities. 

Third, I don't care about red, green or blue.  One color is enough if the dot is bright, well defined, crisp and doesn't go out of shape.

Fourth, it turns out that the eye relief (More is better!), the ability to make small adjustments in elevation without a tool, AO, the ability to not go out of adjustment after being zeroed and the ability to adjust for pellet drop are more important than I though.  Maybe that is because until I spent about three hours over the last week and a half studying about them.  Before I didn't have much of a clue as to what some of those features did or what I would do with them.  Now I know.

Fifth, and last significant point, (There are other small things (mount/no mounts, billet construction, polarizing filter included, etc.) I have had quite enough of having my sighting instrument itself prevent me from seeing the very point where I want the pellet to go.  This is caused by markings in the reticle being so big as to obscure my exact aim point.  If I am aiming at a 2 liter soda bottle at 10 or 15 yards, that is one thing and then dot size probably doesn't make much difference. However, I wonder why someone would buy sights for that situation anyway as any OEM open sights are plenty good enough, I think.  I decided that I want to aim at a point that is no bigger than the pellet I am shooting.  I want to put them all through the same hole.  I can't do that if the dot for the second shot is bigger than the hole from the first shot.

The long and short of all of this is that I have learned that for what I want in a sight/scope, I need to spend $150 or more.  Probably more.  So, I am going to begin now to set aside money every Saturday until I have $200 set aside for my device.  Then, I will adjust that as needed with a limit of $250 in total and buy something.  So far, I am attracted to the Ultradot as it does everything I want, including multiple reticles and dots of different sizes.

Thanks again.  Let's keep this conversation going as it just gets better and better. Can we deal with some specific sights in some detail?  That would help me make up my mind since I am now planning on giving myself a nice Christmas present. 

JW 

1377x

quickster uses an ultradot i believe
thats the one with adjustable dot size right?

for precision shooting a scope is the best tool
red dots, reflex sights are not for precision shooting more for quick aquisition of the target at close distances
i have a tubular rd for my phase 2 1377 its a tasco pdp3 i like it
for my co pistol i want to get a reflex sight.now that crosshairs has opened my eyes to the sleek weaver adapter,i can finally get the reflex sight if i had to use one of those adapters that raises the mounting up then i would have to pass
can t wait to get these guns finished
closed mouths dont get fed

breakfastchef

If you are going with the red dot and are stepping up to the next level, in addition to Ultradot, search the websites for C-More, Aimpoint, and Sightmark.
Larry

rowiac

You might want to check out Primary Arms.  They sell an Aimpoint knock-off that has a very small dot (2 MOA).  It has multiple reticles, but you can't adjust the size of the dot.  I use one on my AR-15 powder burner.  It's not as good as a real Aimpoint, but for $99 it's worth it, well, at least until I decide to cough up the money for a real EOTech holosight.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_MultiReticle_Red_Dot_Sight_PAM3M_p/pam3m.htm

Roger
1377C x2
Titan GP

1377C
PC77

jSan22

zoneofenders

Anybody have experience with one of these? I have the option to buy one cheap, or better said cheaper.

A lot to learn here http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com
Work in progress http://s1160.photobucket.com/albums/q500/zoneofenders79
Dutch forum General crosmans incl some cool mod pics http://www.luchtbuks.net/index.php?showtopic=30584
Dutch forum Crosman 2240 incl some cool mod pics http://www.luchtbuks.net/index.php?showtopic=68610
Awesome members Crosman pics and vids over @ CAPOF by Brutuz https://www.youtube.com/CrosmanCAPOF
Crosman 2240 GT
The Gat
:-* ZON3OF3ND3RS aka The ;D Dutchy 8)

twhooper

I have used 1"Tasco Propoint and Bushnell Trophy on my pistols because I couldn't afford an Ultradot.  I'd look at something like a Bushnell TRS with 3moa dot, or clone, if doing it again.

The 'Docter' seems a good clone of the ultra-expensive reflex sights.  Others are around.  JPoint has a good reputation with heavy handgun shooters, more expensive.  If you can use one and get one that fits, seems more suited to a pistol.

3moa dot maximum size I think.

Remember you gotta get one that fits 3/8" airgun or ".22" dovetail.

Be well...

crossliner

Quote from: Washbush on August 30, 2012, 06:09:28 PM
Hi Gents ...

Thanks to everyone who posted here.  You have given me exactly what I needed to think about.  I have come to a decision as to what to get ... sort of ... and I'll tell you how my thinking went. 

First of all,  I am tired of cheap junk that doesn't work as advertised.  I point no fingers because I went out and bought everything I have.  I tried to get by on low price and good looks. It didn't work.

Second, I have already spent at least $200 in the last few years on sighting stuff.  I bought 5 items with an average cost of $40+.  Even though I thought they each were neat when I got them, now I don't.  I suspect that as I have become a better shooter, I have passed by their abilities. 

Third, I don't care about red, green or blue.  One color is enough if the dot is bright, well defined, crisp and doesn't go out of shape.

Fourth, it turns out that the eye relief (More is better!), the ability to make small adjustments in elevation without a tool, AO, the ability to not go out of adjustment after being zeroed and the ability to adjust for pellet drop are more important than I though.  Maybe that is because until I spent about three hours over the last week and a half studying about them.  Before I didn't have much of a clue as to what some of those features did or what I would do with them.  Now I know.

Fifth, and last significant point, (There are other small things (mount/no mounts, billet construction, polarizing filter included, etc.) I have had quite enough of having my sighting instrument itself prevent me from seeing the very point where I want the pellet to go.  This is caused by markings in the reticle being so big as to obscure my exact aim point.  If I am aiming at a 2 liter soda bottle at 10 or 15 yards, that is one thing and then dot size probably doesn't make much difference. However, I wonder why someone would buy sights for that situation anyway as any OEM open sights are plenty good enough, I think.  I decided that I want to aim at a point that is no bigger than the pellet I am shooting.  I want to put them all through the same hole.  I can't do that if the dot for the second shot is bigger than the hole from the first shot.

The long and short of all of this is that I have learned that for what I want in a sight/scope, I need to spend $150 or more.  Probably more.  So, I am going to begin now to set aside money every Saturday until I have $200 set aside for my device.  Then, I will adjust that as needed with a limit of $250 in total and buy something.  So far, I am attracted to the Ultradot as it does everything I want, including multiple reticles and dots of different sizes.

Thanks again.  Let's keep this conversation going as it just gets better and better. Can we deal with some specific sights in some detail?  That would help me make up my mind since I am now planning on giving myself a nice Christmas present. 

JW

Hi have you gotten 1 already and how is it? I too would like to get 1 but of a different model to replace the Burris F2 sitting on top of my CZ VZ58..Gonna move this 1 and put it on my Lothar barreled 2400kt..Moreover it does not look right as it's too small and I doubt it will be able handle full auto..Don't be surprised gents this is the Philippines and when it comes to personal firearms we are not that far behind.

I want to get this one instead of an Eo or an Aimpoint.

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_009.htm

breakfastchef

Let me throw another option into the mix. I recently picked up a used Millett SP-1 dot sight and mounted it on my 2300KT. I did a test target with the Millett and a 2x Barska scope at 10M. Both sights shot with the same accuracy. Lots of variables could have skewed the test, but with the occassional shooter-inspired fliers, it was a dead heat.
Larry

1377x

Quote from: crossliner on September 15, 2012, 03:25:52 PM
Hi have you gotten 1 already and how is it? I too would like to get 1 but of a different model to replace the Burris F2 sitting on top of my CZ VZ58..Gonna move this 1 and put it on my Lothar barreled 2400kt..Moreover it does not look right as it's too small and I doubt it will be able handle full auto..Don't be surprised gents this is the Philippines and when it comes to personal firearms we are not that far behind.

I want to get this one instead of an Eo or an Aimpoint.

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_009.htm

wow full auto
if only it didnt cost a minimum od $10K to get into one legally here
closed mouths dont get fed

crossliner

Off topics gents..That is the funny thing Mr. 13..Here in the Phils. full autos are not really limited to law enforcement only. You can even buy armour-piercing rounds from a gunstore. There is always a special arrangement. Got the VZ58 for an all-in very discounted price about 2 years and a half years ago. Powder burners do not enamor me though. They are just there by virtue of timing and opportunity but show me a nice looking airgun and I go gaga 8)

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,5003.15.html

crossliner

Quote from: breakfastchef on September 15, 2012, 04:12:11 PM
Let me throw another option into the mix. I recently picked up a used Millett SP-1 dot sight and mounted it on my 2300KT. I did a test target with the Millett and a 2x Barska scope at 10M. Both sights shot with the same accuracy. Lots of variables could have skewed the test, but with the occassional shooter-inspired fliers, it was a dead heat.

Hello Mr. BFC..I remember seeing this particular adapter atop your pistol..Would you be kind enough to measure the lower section that clamps to the breech? The link says that the length is 3.94" but is it the overall length? This adapter is available in the Phils. for $38 btw but the seller is kind of "duh" to supply the exact dimensions.. Frankly my preference is BKL but no there is none to be found here. I want to get this cheap UTG to test the VZ58-installed Burris F2 and see if it mates well w/ my 2400KT..Actually I have not fired the Czech gun post installation. I am not too sure if it will be able to handle the recoil/heat albeit it handles much better than heftier AK. Kindly advise. Thanks in advance.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_11mm_to_Weaver_Adapter_Vertical_Scope_Stop_Pin/2401;jsessionid=BB708B9A976C9BF70D508A09D81884D8.app02

Serpents Den

Quote from: Crosshairs on August 28, 2012, 01:11:53 AM
I have the center point and like it a lot it has a crosshair plus three other reticles and one of them is a small dot.
                                       Mike
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/CenterPoint_1x25mm_Multi_TAC_Quick_Aim_Sight_Weaver_Style_Rings/3647

I have one o' these too on my 2300kt and it's not a bad 'red/green dot'.... theres a single dot, 3 vertical dot, a 'T' dot, and the one Mike showed as choices in the switch for it....the dots are definitely smaller and it's better quality than my tasco pro point....

crossliner

Quote from: crossliner on September 16, 2012, 01:46:15 PM
Hello Mr. BFC..I remember seeing this particular adapter atop your pistol..Would you be kind enough to measure the lower section that clamps to the breech? The link says that the length is 3.94" but is it the overall length? This adapter is available in the Phils. for $38 btw but the seller is kind of "duh" to supply the exact dimensions.. Frankly my preference is BKL but no there is none to be found here. I want to get this cheap UTG to test the VZ58-installed Burris F2 and see if it mates well w/ my 2400KT..Actually I have not fired the Czech gun post installation. I am not too sure if it will be able to handle the recoil/heat albeit it handles much better than heftier AK. Kindly advise. Thanks in advance.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_11mm_to_Weaver_Adapter_Vertical_Scope_Stop_Pin/2401;jsessionid=BB708B9A976C9BF70D508A09D81884D8.app02

Gents who have one kindly chime in. Thanks and best regards.

breakfastchef

Quote from: crossliner on September 16, 2012, 01:46:15 PM
The link says that the length is 3.94" but is it the overall length?

This one is 3.94" overall. I use this on a 2240
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_11mm_to_Weaver_Adapter_Vertical_Scope_Stop_Pin/2401

This is the adapter I am using for the 2300KT pictured above. It is 3.55" overall in length.
http://www.amazon.com/Truglo-Mounting-Adapter-Weaver-Black/dp/B000KKETHA
Larry