Red Dot sights ... very, very small dot.

Started by Washbush, August 27, 2012, 08:17:51 PM

Washbush

Greetings ...

For reasons that are way too complicated to explain easily, a very good friend is wanting to find a red dot sight to use on a pistol.  The type of mount doesn't matter, as we can work that out.  But, the size of the dot does matter.  He has tried several lower priced sights and the dot is as big as a barn ... obviously meant for rifles and shooting at longer distances.  Does anyone have a source for what might be called "the smallest dot there is" or at least a red dot that is made for close up, short distances?  Is there any chance that there might be such a thing as an adjustable dot? 

BDS

Washbush:  Go here for the best list and set of reviews I have found on "dot sights. It includes Holographics too.   http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-red-dot-scopes.html

Unfortunately, the very best, tactical sights cost about 4 times the cost of a stock 2240 pistol! :D

I've learned to use my BSA sights, abberations and all  :-*
Brian

breakfastchef

Quote from: BDS on August 27, 2012, 08:32:12 PM
Unfortunately, the very best, tactical sights cost about 4 times the cost of a stock 2240 pistol! :D

I've learned to use my BSA sights, abberations and all  :-*

x2. Cost for a top level EOTech, Aimpoint, C-More will start around $300+.
Larry

Washbush

Sorry, I forgot to ask ... Has anyone ever heard of a sight with no magnification, like a red dot, but that has cross hairs instead of the red dot?  Does anyone know of anything like that?

BDS

Yes, go to the link I gave you, there are several, some even have 3 or 4 selectable images or cross-hairs.

PS and if you mean a 1x optic more like a scope, those are most often found in the pistol-scopes section of websites or stores and even under crossbow optics.
Brian

markasaurus

I put on a Bushnell red dot on my 1322 and it works fine, even when the pistol is held at arms length.  It has no way to adjust the size of the dot - I think if you made it smaller it would be invisible.  It has brightness settings 1 to 11, I just put it on 11 all the time (there ought to be a 12 and 13 if you ask me - "these go to 11" - haw haw). 

It does take a bit of hunting when trying to view the red dot but after a while you learn how to point the gun to see the red dot fast.

It is very similar to iron sights except there are only two things to line up (dot and target) not 3. 

It is a bushnell trophy TRS-25 from amazon.  Cost me $62 all.

The Bushnell fits regular weaver mounts.  I had to use the 11mm dovetail-to-weaver adapter mount from Amazon, it costs about $15. 

Fronzdan

Both of these offer a small 3 MOA dot and other reticles including one with crosshairs.  I use the sure shot on a couple of mine and they are great.   These reflex sights are inexpensive and sold by a bunch of comparable budget vendors.

http://www.sightmark.com/products/reflex-sights/sure-shot-black-dove-tail-sm13003b-dt

http://www.sightmark.com/products/reflex-sights/ultra-shot-dove-tail-sm13005-dt

Washbush

Hey All ...

Many thanks for all of the input so far.  I did give that Bushnell a good serious look the other day and I may go back to that yet.  I have decided that the perfect thing that I could have would be very small and light (stubby like the red dots), illuminated reticle with crosshairs and mil dot marks, and then, if there were multiple reticles besides and I could focus the dot, it would be perfect. I would not even mind some very, very low magnification, like 2X or 1.5X.

Has anyone ever seen anything like that?

j

Crosshairs

Quote from: Washbush on August 27, 2012, 08:58:03 PM
Sorry, I forgot to ask ... Has anyone ever heard of a sight with no magnification, like a red dot, but that has cross hairs instead of the red dot?  Does anyone know of anything like that?

I have the center point and like it a lot it has a crosshair plus three other reticles and one of them is a small dot.
                                       Mike
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/CenterPoint_1x25mm_Multi_TAC_Quick_Aim_Sight_Weaver_Style_Rings/3647
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

jdub

Quote from: Crosshairs on August 28, 2012, 01:11:53 AM
I have the center point and like it a lot it has a crosshair plus three other reticles and one of them is a small dot.
                                       Mike
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/CenterPoint_1x25mm_Multi_TAC_Quick_Aim_Sight_Weaver_Style_Rings/3647
Our Walmart is closing these out for $32.  I didn't realize it had the cool reticle/dot.  I might have to grab one. 

Washbush

Washbush

I just checked the Walmart web site and that scope is showing there for $49.95.  Would you share the address of that store?

JW

jdub

Quote from: Washbush on August 28, 2012, 05:16:04 AM
I just checked the Walmart web site and that scope is showing there for $49.95.  Would you share the address of that store?

JW
Preston Rd in Frisco TX.   They had two left when I was in last week.  They also had 3 or 4 Tasco Red Dots for $25.   This is the same Walmart that had boxes of 15 Crosman CO2 carts for $6.  I say *had* because all 11 boxes they had in stock are now on my bench. 

Washbush

Well ... it looks like Walmart doesn't want us to be able to reach individual stores.  The $49.97 price is on the Walmart web page, and I could only find maps and advertising fliers for the individual stores.  So, I am guessing that this is a deal in only that one store.  Too bad.  I would have bought it on the spot.

Thanks for the info.  By the way, my initials are JW and I have been called J.Dub all my life. 

thanks again

JW