What work did you just do?

Started by Fronzdan, October 27, 2012, 04:25:40 PM

chongman

Beautiful polishing on the wire stock  :-*

I like what I can see of the custom piston and know you don't want to show to much of it....yet  ;)
I might be right behind you, got some brass stock...
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

BigErn

rangerfredbob

I don't want to show too much of it because it's ugly from my drill press, you can see how bad the hole looks that I drilled for the slot :), not to mention the oval adjustment holes... didn't help at all that the band saw spit the blade right at the end of that last cut there... Other than that it's nothing special, I didn't use one precise measurement doing the whole project, just some outside calipers (set them to the diameter of the original plastic piston just behind the seal), a ruler to get the parts at about 1 1/4" long each, left the 3/8" bolt the length it was just cut the head off, used calipers to get the diameter of the hole in the tube but just trimmed the brass until the other side of the calipers fit over... It might be the lazy way of doing it, but it's effective, just not as repeatable :).

I also thought of putting some nylon screws into the back side of the piston to use as scuffers, when I pull the piston out next time I'll do something...
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

Fronzdan

BigErn that is a beautiful polish job!!!  I've seen pics of Sean's stocks.  They are nice, but they don't look that good!  That was time well spent!!!

breakfastchef

Quote from: BigErn on December 15, 2012, 06:30:14 PM
Here you go Ed. It looks much better in person, I will take some new pics soon when it's mounted!

Excellent polish job, BigErn. A tip for you... if you do not envision needing to adjust the stock, drill and tap the rod and install longer set screws to a]keep the adapter and butt stock from twisting out of position. I did this on my workinman straight stock and it was real solid. Set screws pushing into a round piece of stock never really holds well.
Larry

chongman

Quote from: rangerfredbob on December 15, 2012, 10:19:55 PM
I don't want to show too much of it because it's ugly from my drill press, you can see how bad the hole looks that I drilled for the slot :), not to mention the oval adjustment holes... didn't help at all that the band saw spit the blade right at the end of that last cut there... Other than that it's nothing special, I didn't use one precise measurement doing the whole project, just some outside calipers (set them to the diameter of the original plastic piston just behind the seal), a ruler to get the parts at about 1 1/4" long each, left the 3/8" bolt the length it was just cut the head off, used calipers to get the diameter of the hole in the tube but just trimmed the brass until the other side of the calipers fit over... It might be the lazy way of doing it, but it's effective, just not as repeatable :).

I also thought of putting some nylon screws into the back side of the piston to use as scuffers, when I pull the piston out next time I'll do something...

That repeatable thing always gets me, trying to make two parts exactly the same!

mudduck48

Quote from: rangerfredbob on December 15, 2012, 08:26:26 PM
No Chrono Connect for the I phone, just a simpler app for airsoft or archery (should have got the archery one, it had an energy calculator), no luck getting anything that looked reasonable out of it either, need something louder to hit at distance...

To the pics:

In the first one you can see the custom piston and pivot pin (all I had was a regular nut for the other side, but it isn't going to come off...), if you look close you can notice the funny looking area behind the O ring, that's the "oil rings" which seem to be working as there's still oil over there... The second pic is just an overview of the gun and my back yard...
You have a back yard like that??!! And your playing with pellet guns?? If I had a back yard like that, I would put a target out on the burm on the right of the picture and shoot my .22. How many acres do you have? How close is your neighbors? Get a real gun and shoot. Give the kids the pellet guns. WOW!!! what a nice back yard!!!
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

cmj21973

Finished the restoration and reassembled my 1322 Phase I.
http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,9299.msg110896.html#msg110896

Now I have to decide which to restore next, Mark I or Crosman 600?

arkmaker †

That one sure is looking nice  :-* :-*
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

YSYEO

Quote from: cmj21973 on December 16, 2012, 10:36:04 AM

Now I have to decide which to restore next, Mark I or Crosman 600?

I'm sure there are many that would love to have that decision to make. 
Those are both great pistols.  I'm looking forward to the restores.

Fronzdan

Quote from: mudduck48 on December 16, 2012, 04:48:49 AM
You have a back yard like that??!! And your playing with pellet guns?? If I had a back yard like that, I would put a target out on the burm on the right of the picture and shoot my .22. How many acres do you have? How close is your neighbors? Get a real gun and shoot. Give the kids the pellet guns. WOW!!! what a nice back yard!!!

+1. That's the back yard I dream of having.

JEBert

Quote+1. That's the back yard I dream of having.
+2!
Edit:  Had to add the exclamation point.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Davio

Quote from: chongman on December 16, 2012, 03:05:51 AM
That repeatable thing always gets me, trying to make two parts exactly the same!
Don't let that get to you too much.  I know firsthand that even large operations have variance.. and expect it.  "Select fit" of varying pistons to crank cases is one way they found to use the problem to an advantage.
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

chongman

Today I did some lathe work for a CAPOF member...

bgmcgee

"I've lost what's left of my right mind"