Scopes Again!!

Started by arkmaker †, November 10, 2012, 09:15:32 PM

josey88

update : Swat 3-12x44 scope ordered along with 30mm Accushot rings and side parallax Wheel . I still think that 12x is overkill on an airgun but if the quality is good , it is worth it and besides , I can always put it on top of my AK-47  with a side mount that I already have , so it will get to be used .
My thanks to Ed for a good advice , as always .

1377x

Quote from: josey88 on November 11, 2012, 11:40:12 PM
Well, Ed, you convinced me ... I started reading reviews on the Bug Buster from this year (so these are not old reviews) and most of them are very scary . Reticles offset , tilting to one side or the other , ilumination doesn`t work , and on and on . If on top of all the reticle is very thick , it is certainly no good . To the contrary ,  the Leapers Swat 3-12x44 is ok and  most of the reviews are very positive ... and you said it has a fine reticle ,  so ... I will be ordering this one . It is on Amazon now at $99.95 . I am also getting the Accushot 30mm rings , and now that I am into it , the side wheel also .
i wasnt trying to convince you to buy the swat scope someone asked about a scope under $100 thats the scope that popped up.i have read other peoples reviews of the swat scopes and they said they have thin reticles and over all decant for the price with the exception of a few that had lighted reticle issues well just leave it off or return it i say.i dont use the lighted reticle on my ar22 cp scope which i dont like because if the fat reticle now that im changing barrels on my OB gun its getting the no name ao scope because it has a thin reticle hate it doesnt have mil-dots but for my shooting ranges it will do.i want to try the hawke hd scope,its oa and mil-dot have yet to see a bad review and i have been looking at them the last year. its lighter than the swat which is heavy because of the battery, lighted reticle and color changer
bsa have had many bad reviews in the years past but an avid air gun hunter i read escapades from uses a bsa and couldnt be happier i'll find which bsa it is he uses,i asked him before so i have to go through my old posts.if you saw his hunts i mean near perfect if not perfect placement everytime 10-40 yards iirc maybe more
lots of people are happy with the bug buster, personally i dont like fat reticles.

heres another scope to consider if side focus is a plus
http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=OS&prodID=OSCOMD41640&prodTitle=BSA Contender 4-16x40 Riflescope Side Parallax Contender Ballistic Reticle
closed mouths dont get fed

1377x

Quote from: josey88 on November 12, 2012, 05:30:10 AM
update : Swat 3-12x44 scope ordered along with 30mm Accushot rings and side parallax Wheel . I still think that 12x is overkill on an airgun but if the quality is good , it is worth it and besides , I can always put it on top of my AK-47  with a side mount that I already have , so it will get to be used .
My thanks to Ed for a good advice , as always .
did you order this style ring or do you have a weaver,picatinny scope rail?
http://www.amazon.com/AccuShot-Premium-Height-Airgun-Rings/dp/B001WJ4W2U/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1331674941&sr=1-5

josey88

Quote from: 1377x on November 12, 2012, 07:52:29 AM
did you order this style ring or do you have a weaver,picatinny scope rail?
http://www.amazon.com/AccuShot-Premium-Height-Airgun-Rings/dp/B001WJ4W2U/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1331674941&sr=1-5
I ordered those . As a matter of fact , I ordered the medium and the high set  , because I am not sure which one will fit better . They cost only 8 or 9 dollars , so is not a big deal and I want to have the scope as close as I can to the barrel .
About the Swat scope , I am happy with the buy . Since the Bug Buster has a thicker reticle , good accuracy specially on pellet guns , will be very difficult . As I said ,  the reviews are horrible , with a couple of exceptions... that is not good for me .
You gave me a good advice in suggesting to look it up ... I did and for $20.00 more I get a 30mm tube and 3x more ... I just think that it is a bit of overkill , but, it always better to have more than less anyway .

1377x

her is a good scope at a decent price on the yellow.under $100 but it is used but not much
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79574/message/1352734917/a+pistol%2C+scopes+and+other+various+items+for+sale

Quote from: josey88 on November 12, 2012, 04:47:05 PM
I ordered those . As a matter of fact , I ordered the medium and the high set  , because I am not sure which one will fit better . They cost only 8 or 9 dollars , so is not a big deal and I want to have the scope as close as I can to the barrel .
About the Swat scope , I am happy with the buy . Since the Bug Buster has a thicker reticle , good accuracy specially on pellet guns , will be very difficult . As I said ,  the reviews are horrible , with a couple of exceptions... that is not good for me .
You gave me a good advice in suggesting to look it up ... I did and for $20.00 more I get a 30mm tube and 3x more ... I just think that it is a bit of overkill , but, it always better to have more than less anyway .
i dont know about scopes.i have been told before the 30mm scopes are better ??? cant remember the reason given.etched glass reticles are better because the reticle thats not etched glass is suspended wires

if you mod your 2400 up to 12ft/lbs then you will like the higher magnification when shooting at 30-35 yards watching the pellet impact on the target.cant do that with low power scopes

DaveC

Quote from: 1377x on November 12, 2012, 09:45:24 PM
her is a good scope at a decent price on the yellow.under $100 but it is used but not much
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79574/message/1352734917/a+pistol%2C+scopes+and+other+various+items+for+sale
i dont know about scopes.i have been told before the 30mm scopes are better ??? cant remember the reason given.etched glass reticles are better because the reticle thats not etched glass is suspended wires

if you mod your 2400 up to 12ft/lbs then you will like the higher magnification when shooting at 30-35 yards watching the pellet impact on the target.cant do that with low power scopes

The 30mm scopes are better due to the larger optics. So the ones with a 35mm tube are even better. The deal is the more area the more detail will be transmitted to your eye. It's like looking at the moon through a 3" telescope or a 6" telescope. The image through the objective is the same size but the detail of the larger scope is much greater. And with as old as my eyes are getting I need all the detail I can get  :P

josey88

Quote from: DaveC on November 12, 2012, 10:18:42 PM
The 30mm scopes are better due to the larger optics. So the ones with a 35mm tube are even better. The deal is the more area the more detail will be transmitted to your eye. It's like looking at the moon through a 3" telescope or a 6" telescope. The image through the objective is the same size but the detail of the larger scope is much greater. And with as old as my eyes are getting I need all the detail I can get  :P
That is one of the reasons ... the other is adjusting . That`s why the Tactical scopes are all 30mm and up, 34mm, 35mm ...You can adjust more because there is room for more clicks ... the mechanism can advance further up and down and left/ right. Also the 30mm tube is stronger than the 1 inch . No doubt about it : the 30mm scopes are in a better category than the 1 inch scopes , usually . 
About the etched glass... Ed is correct , the etched glass is better , no question about it .
The Swat scope also comes in a model with the etched glass , but it cost $50.00 more  and frankly for what I will mainly use the scope with  my 2400KT, the regular model  is more than enough .
See, I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP scope on my 10FCP-5R HS-precision .308 tactical rifle . Beautiful scope ... expensive too , and  to better that you would have to jump into the four or five thousand of dollars category and the gain will be minimum ... into the rarified high end category  of U.S Optics , Premier`s , etc . from $3000.00 and up to start . Then there is the rings ... it never ends . I use it little but it is an amazing optic with a first focus plane reticle (it means that the reticle enlarges and diminishes along with the power, so , no specific power setting for the mildot) ...  On my other rifles I use Mueller scopes , which I like a lot . I have a Nikon Monarch SF on my AR (fantastic scope , even thou it is a 1 inch scope tube...thin reticle, very accurate scope) and a Leatherwood CMR CQB 1-4X24 on the Saiga .223 AK ... also a russian PK23 military red dot on my VZ-58

DaveC

I hear you about those prices. I looked on eBay for 35mm rings. There was a set for $270 or so...free shipping.

josey88

Quote from: DaveC on November 13, 2012, 12:25:38 AM
I hear you about those prices. I looked on eBay for 35mm rings. There was a set for $270 or so...free shipping.
Yeap  ... lol 

Tater

Quote from: DaveC on November 13, 2012, 12:25:38 AM

At least they threw in shipping.   :P
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

1377x

the natchezss link i posted the bsa scope has the focal plane reticle iirc
i can see spending the money on a scope for the .308 you shoot thit at greater distances
i was going to put a meuller avp on my 10/22 but i am torn between that and a hawke scope

josey88

I like the Mueller scopes a lot . Take a look at the one I have , the 4.5-14X40 30mm APT tactical . It has an adjustable objective very ,very sharp . I have two of those and I like them . You can get them anywhere for around $170.00 and it has a thin reticle ,too.
Here they are ... one on my Mosin and the other on my M28/76

1377x

josey88

That  scope is not a tactical scope... it means that the reticle doesn`t have the mildots and the turrets are not open , and it is a 1 inch tube .  You can get also the Target scope which is 8-32x44 with side focus , 30mm and the thinniest reticle that you have ever seen , since it is a target scope . I also have one of those ... long scope , almost 20 inches long with the sunshade . Very precise scope , ideal for target and very powerful ,too.  That one would run you around $250.00     

josey88

I have those on my two rifles that are 7.62x54r so these are not .22cal and never had a single problem with them . As far as I know from references on people from other forums , Mueller have a pretty good customer service . They care of their reputation .