Scopes Again!!

Started by arkmaker †, November 10, 2012, 09:15:32 PM

arkmaker †

I just finished putting a Center Point 3x9x40 scope on my Edge. Wow! Focus below 10m and very very clear. I have a new respect for the Center Point line up. Even at 9x the clarity is great.

So, what others in this under 100 dollar range should we look at or not look at??

Rich

EDITED: corrected the size to 3x9x40

I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

breakfastchef

Despite the thicker reticle lines, I still like Leapers/UTG. My 3-9 is going strong after two years on a 1377 carbine and remains very accurate. I trust the mil-dots.

I have a Barska 2-7 on my Beeman R7 that was very reasonable. It is a good scope for the money. Has held up to a low powered springer, so far, and is also accurate enough for me and this rifle.

Larry

arkmaker †

I just tried to take a picture of the reticle, but no go. It is one of the best I have had. Very thin crosshairs and what I think they call a half-mildot. Super sharp outline. I don;t have that much experience with scopes, but I'm liking it.

I have a Barska 2x7 rimfire scope and love that one. It is a little touchy on eye placement, but once you lock it in it  stays steady. My other older scope is a Tasco 4x32 that came with the Marlin 39AS. That is a nice little scope for 25 plus out to 100 yards.

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

1377x

how about a side focus for just ynder $100 it is a utg swat scope i think the ao is 10yds and up to
its a 30.. tube and 44mm objective
use a new e-mail account get a trial amazon prime free 2 day shipping
if you havent tried amazon prime then the same applies free trial 2 day shipping
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-3-12X44-Mil-dot-Colors-EZ-TAP/dp/B004CVER4I/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1352607856&sr=8-13&keywords=utg+scope
closed mouths dont get fed

arkmaker †

That one looks great! For a total of $122.70 you can get the scope, rings and side focus wheel! I book marked it.

I want to look up the reticle and see what it looks like first  I'm tell ya, this CP has the finest lines I have had so far. If I get another, it has to compare to it.

Looks like it comes with this one;

1377x

from what people who own the swat scops say the reticle is the thinnest of the leaper/utg scopes
i looked through one at the shop last summer it had thin reticles.
its crazy how they have color changing reticles does anyone really use that feature?

DaveC

Quote from: 1377x on November 11, 2012, 03:59:44 PM
from what people who own the swat scops say the reticle is the thinnest of the leaper/utg scopes
i looked through one at the shop last summer it had thin reticles.
its crazy how they have color changing reticles does anyone really use that feature?
A great many have the 3 color thing going with black, red, and green as it is. I can see how having colors would be good depending on the background colors of a shot. Of course I can't imagine what you'd need a purple crosshair for...unless it's for shooting pink ponys  :-*

josey88

I looked at the 3-12x44  a couple of days ago for my incoming 2400KT , but I compared it to the 3-9x32 and I chose the later ... the 3-12x44 is heavy(22 oz) compared to the Bug Buster (13.8 oz)  . Also longer , even longer that the Bug buster with the extension installed .  Looking at things ,  Overall , I  find that the only two advantages of the 3-12x44 over the Bug Buster are  : 1) the increase on magnification (that on a real firearm is useable) , and  2) the side focus .
Both advantages in my humble opinion are miningless on airguns , particularly on pistols .  The very limited range of an airgun will make 9x a tremendous increase on magnification . Also,  The eye relief is  shorter than the Bug Buster`s  and that can be very uncomfortable .  The side parallax , even thou handy at the side of the scope , it start from 10 yards on , compared to the Bug Buster from 3 yards and that can be useful on an airgun . 
Just keep those observations in mind when choosing a scope for your airgun .

1377x

another advantage is the bug buster has a fat reticle ,the swat scope does not.  the main reason i stay away from bug busters is that reason, i just mentioned.unless the eye relief has changed for the bug buster it used to be 3" or less
if you watched the video i posted in my oogie boogie thread the scope used is an ar22 centerpoint it too has the fat reticle
my no name 4x32ao scope has a nice skinny reticle but no mil-dots.its fun using the mil-dots to measure distance .its amazing how acurate it is
im going to make another video with the no name mounted with the camera for comparison

Air Nomad

I have the leaper's 4-16x50 on my 2289g carbine, after mounting the crosman steel breech to a tighter fit I have been very happy with this scope! I retail's in canada for around 130.00 buck's, but for the magnification it give's (and clarity) well worth it! The colour changing retical's are kinda cool but never use the option. It's a heavy scope, 2.5lbs with 3" sunshade add on and tac rails, but allway's found the gun to light anyway's. The whole set-up is just under 19" inches, so it's about half the lenght of my pistol (with 24" barrel) so it look's way "overboard" But that's the idea right?  :-*
Plink to live, live to plink.

josey88

Quote from: 1377x on November 11, 2012, 07:56:08 PM
another advantage is the bug buster has a fat reticle ,the swat scope does not.  the main reason i stay away from bug busters is that reason, i just mentioned.unless the eye relief has changed for the bug buster it used to be 3" or less
if you watched the video i posted in my oogie boogie thread the scope used is an ar22 centerpoint it too has the fat reticle
my no name 4x32ao scope has a nice skinny reticle but no mil-dots.its fun using the mil-dots to measure distance .its amazing how acurate it is
im going to make another video with the no name mounted with the camera for comparison
I checked the eye  relief on the Bug Buster 3-9x32 and it is 4.2" to 3" while the 3-12x44 is a 3.4" to 3 "so it is almost a whole inch shorter to play with

1377x

Quote from: josey88 on November 11, 2012, 08:28:04 PM
I checked the eye  relief on the Bug Buster 3-9x32 and it is 4.2" to 3" while the 3-12x44 is a 3.4" to 3 "so it is almost a whole inch shorter to play with

thats what the specs say might want to check reviews
the main complaint from the owners of the bug buster here on the forum is the short eye relief followed by the fat reticle

center point power class scopes are very nice
i want to try a hawke scope just have to get rid some of the scopes i have now before i do
http://www.amazon.com/Hawke-3-9x50mm-Reticle-Adjustable-Objective/dp/B0059HC6KG/ref=sr_1_80?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1352661212&sr=1-80&keywords=ao+rifle+scope

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/hawke-sport-hd-riflescopes.html

josey88

Quote from: 1377x on November 11, 2012, 08:31:49 PM
thats what the specs say might want to check reviews
the main complaint from the owners of the bug buster here on the forum is the short eye relief followed by the fat reticle

center point power class scopes are very nice
i want to try a hawke scope just have to get rid some of the scopes i have now before i do
http://www.amazon.com/Hawke-3-9x50mm-Reticle-Adjustable-Objective/dp/B0059HC6KG/ref=sr_1_80?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1352661212&sr=1-80&keywords=ao+rifle+scope

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/hawke-sport-hd-riflescopes.html

Well, Ed, you convinced me ... I started reading reviews on the Bug Buster from this year (so these are not old reviews) and most of them are very scary . Reticles offset , tilting to one side or the other , ilumination doesn`t work , and on and on . If on top of all the reticle is very thick , it is certainly no good . To the contrary ,  the Leapers Swat 3-12x44 is ok and  most of the reviews are very positive ... and you said it has a fine reticle ,  so ... I will be ordering this one . It is on Amazon now at $99.95 . I am also getting the Accushot 30mm rings , and now that I am into it , the side wheel also .

DaveC

I'd say go with the side wheel. If your going to have the adjustment then you should due to the fact the knob is very resistive to being changed, it's very viscous. They turn smoothly enough but it does take some effort and the wheel makes it much easier to hit the right setting and way easier to fine adjust.

josey88

Yes, I arrived to the same conclusion  too ,  so I am getting it , thanks.