Two new 2240's

Started by ingrahal, December 24, 2012, 05:49:12 PM

BDS

The edge of the lands in the rifling may be rough (at a micro level).

If so, either a new barrel or a "roto-rooter" with a power drill, coated or alum rod and a bronze brush with JB Bore Paste.
Brian

JEBert

QuoteIf so, either a new barrel or a "roto-rooter" with a power drill, coated or alum rod and a bronze brush with JB Bore Paste
My advice is: DON'T use a drill in it!  Just use the JB Bore Paste with a the bronze brush for 20 strokes or so.  If you can get a patch wrapped around the brush through the barrel, that would be better but it's gonna be awfully tight.  Go in from the breech end to prevent any inadvertent damage to the crown from the cleaning rod.  I have polished the roughness out of all of my leades (breech end of the barrel) and my pellets just drop in and the extended bolts seat them.
Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

ingrahal

Ok fellas, I tried polishing one of the barrels and it looked much better but did not shoot any better. Convinced these barrels are bad I ordered two 14" barrels from Crooked Barn. I'm going to use the plastic breech for now and see if the barrels solve the problem. I can replace the breeches later. If I replaced the breeches now I would also have to replace the bolt, and rear sight X 2. All of of sudden my $112 purchase turns into $336. Which is not bad at all for what I would have but not what I intended to do starting out. I will keep you posted on how this turns out.

chongman

Keep one stock as a reference?
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

ingrahal

airguns100

Quote from: ingrahal on December 29, 2012, 01:12:36 AM
Ok fellas, I tried polishing one of the barrels and it looked much better but did not shoot any better. Convinced these barrels are bad I ordered two 14" barrels from Crooked Barn. I'm going to use the plastic breech for now and see if the barrels solve the problem. I can replace the breeches later. If I replaced the breeches now I would also have to replace the bolt, and rear sight X 2. All of of sudden my $112 purchase turns into $336. Which is not bad at all for what I would have but not what I intended to do starting out. I will keep you posted on how this turns out.

Hey, Art. I Was wondering. When you load a pellet, does the bolt push the pellet all the way past the transfer port, or only half way?
The OG gangster of the "bling"

ingrahal

airguns100, yes it goes past it.

ingrahal

Ok fellas time for an update. I tried three different pellets beside the Crosman Premier. Pretty much the same results with a slight improvement using the JSB's. By this time I had already ordered 2 14" barrels and 2 extended probe bolts. Due to the holidays it took a while to get them in.  I set one gun up and left the other stock. The 14" barrel gives a 5/8" group at 10 yds. The best group I can get with the stock barrel is 1 1/4". Which is better than I was getting at first.

While all of this was going on I bought an ebook, "CO2 Pistols & Rifles" by James E. House. Boy what an eye opener. Many things are going on that I never even considered. The two biggies were temperature and rate of fire. When I first started shooting these guns the daytime temps were in the 30's here in Arkansas. The last few days they have been in the 50's-60's. I think the warmer weathter might explain the improved performance of the stock barrel due to the increase in velocities. Also, I was shooting just as fast I could chamber a pellet and get on target. Which was pretty fast even for a single shot pistol. Subsequent testing on the chrony shows a marked decrease in velocity on each shot when shooting this way. Today I shot each gun over the chrony pausing between shots and warming the tube with my hand. The shot strings were very impressive. The first 35 shots were between 490 and 475. After 40 shots the velocities started falling off rapidly.

Both guns are performing nicely now. I have only shot a few rounds on the silhouette range but so far the results are good. About 12/20 off the bench and about half that offhand. I will probably go ahead and upgrade the breeches and sights but for now I am happy.

breakfastchef

Quote from: ingrahal on January 11, 2013, 05:47:19 AMThe two biggies were temperature and rate of fire.

Temperature and rate of fire most certainly can make it appear you had two bad pistols. Next time I see a question posted by a new owner of a CO2 gun with accuracy problems, I am going to have to remember to ask about ambient temperature and how quickly shots were fired.
Larry

1377x

the reason i went to hpa from co2 i thought the same thing until i realised that
closed mouths dont get fed

BDS

Today I shot each gun over the chrony pausing between shots and warming the tube with my hand. The shot strings were very impressive. The first 35 shots were between 490 and 475. After 40 shots the velocities started falling off rapidly.

Both guns are performing nicely now. I have only shot a few rounds on the silhouette range but so far the results are good. About 12/20 off the bench and about half that offhand. I will probably go ahead and upgrade the breeches and sights but for now I am happy.

Good to see you are doing some research and reading on co2, it will pay off for you big time as you mod your guns and just for the efficiency of shooting them.

70 deg to 90 deg F is kinda the sweet-spot for co2, even at 70 deg, I seldom rapid fire any of e'm, the little valves and tubes chill or ice up quickly even at 70 deg so a lil wait time, even 30 secs bewteen shots helps a lot.  :-*
Brian

ingrahal

Thanks for the feedback guys. I didn't mention that I was new to CO2. I just said I was new to air pistols. I didn't even realize there was such a big difference. I should have though because I am fairly scientifically minded. Thinking back about the whole thing, there are still some unanswered questions ???. Oh well I'm moving on. I like the 14" barrels, they look pretty cool. :-*

ingrahal

I reread my last post and it was begging for some pics.

1377x

nothing wrong with a 14" barrel on a pistol, heck i would go up to 20"
here's a buntline special it has a 16" barrel
closed mouths dont get fed

DaveB50

I too am new to CO2, I have a pumper and a springer I have shot for years.  I just bought a 2240 and am having a ball with it. It is not bad at 15-20 feet, beyond that my eyes have trouble trying to see the target well enough (blurry) while sighting the pistol. I'm waiting on a red dot for it. I ran a phosphor brush down the barrell with bore paste a fwe times and then cleaned it good.
Dave
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077