Two new 2240's

Started by ingrahal, December 24, 2012, 05:49:12 PM

ingrahal

Hello All, I'm new to air pistols but have owned rifles nearly all my life. I got the idea of setting up a silhouette range in the back yard for my son and I to have some fun. I went shopping for suitable pistols, one for each of us and ran across the 2240. At first glance I dismissed it as too cheap to be accurate, but then started reading reviews and was impressed. Convinced they would work I ordered thru Amazon because I'm a Prime member. The first day was very windy and I wrote off the bad groups to the weather. Second day was calm so I set up my bench, shot bags and Chrony to do some serious testing. The two guns performed nearly identically. With the Premiere 14.3g pellets velocity was 400 fps and at 10 yds the groups were around 2". Not happy with this at all I thought maybe it was me. So I moved indoors and put the pistols in a vise. I got the same results. Since I was using a new tin of pellets I got out the Marauder rifle and as usual was punching the same hole at 30 yds. At this point I probably should have returned them, but the tinkerer in me couldn't do that. I found the necessary instructional videos and tore them down. Did not find anything obvious, but did clean and lubricate everything. Same performance as before. So here I am looking for advice. I know that there are tons of after market upgrades but that's not really the direction I want to go. I would rather get these shooting good and get back to the business of shooting silhouettes not tinkering with the guns. Thanks for any help.

Art

WyoMan

Try some different pellets. I have shot CP .22 brown box 14.3 thru high velocity AG's and they group well but thru my 1322's at about 400 fps looks like a shot gun pattern - don't know why  ??? could be head size, pellet too hard for lower pressure  ???
The soft JSB exact give me one hole groups in both .177 and .22 with 13xx :)
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

JEBert

Did you clean your barrels really good?  Sometimes Crosman gets some paint in them.  They may need re-crowning too.  I've had two barrels that benefited from re-crowning.
Merry Christmas,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

breakfastchef

Quote from: JEBert on December 24, 2012, 06:40:44 PM
Did you clean your barrels really good?  Sometimes Crosman gets some paint in them.  They may need re-crowning too.  I've had two barrels that benefited from re-crowning.
Merry Christmas,

X2 for cleaning the barrel. If that does not improve the groupings, return the guns or call Crosman Customer Service. I have never had a Crosman pistol that shot groups that large at 10 yards rested. You should not have to fuss about with new pistols to get them to shoot more accurately.
Larry

ingrahal

Thanks fellas, i have ordered more pellets to try. I did clean the barrels. I should have returned them before I jacked around with them. I made some small improvements to the rear sights. I doubt they would accept them for exchange at this point. I may send them in to be fixed though. The thing is that much shipping and or parts cost would make it not cost effective. I think it must be the barrels because the charging system is very consistant even if the velocity is a little low. I did post a review on Amazon, one of the few negative reviews on there.

airguns100

It doesn't sound like anything is wrong at all, Art. Most individuals purchase a 2240 due to the incredible amount of modifications that can be preformed. In all honesty, You're comparing a $57.95 gun with a 10.1" barrel vs $465.95 gun with a 20" barrel.
At 10 yards, anything can effect shot patterns with a 10'1 barrel, even clamped in a vice, a stiff breeze could throw the pellet trajectory off by the distances you've mentioned on paper. I believe one of the upgrades individuals generally do, is a 14" barrel upgrade and a steel breech kit.  8)
The OG gangster of the "bling"

ingrahal

Quote from: airguns100 on December 24, 2012, 11:21:04 PM
It doesn't sound like anything is wrong at all, Art. Most individuals purchase a 2240 due to the incredible amount of modifications that can be preformed. In all honesty, You're comparing a $57.95 gun with a 10.1" barrel vs $465.95 gun with a 20" barrel.
At 10 yards, anything can effect shot patterns with a 10'1 barrel, even clamped in a vice, a stiff breeze could throw the pellet trajectory off by the distances you've mentioned on paper. I believe one of the upgrades individuals generally do, is a 14" barrel upgrade and a steel breech kit.  8)

airguns100, thanks for the reply. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post. I'm not interested in starting an air pistol project right now, although I would love to in the future. My immediate goal is to have some fun shooting airgun sized silhouettes in the back yard. I didn't mean to compare the Marauder rifle to the 2240. I was using the MRod to verify that the pellets were ok. Also I did account for the wind by moving indoors when I tested the guns in the vise. I totally get that a stock 2240 is going to have shortcomings, but there were so many positive reviews reporting the accuracy to be excellent that I was convinced they would do the trick. A 2" group at 10 yds is not acceptable for any pistol as far as I'm concerned except maybe an airsoft pistol. I viewed a couple of video reviews in which the stock 2240 got 1" or less groups at 10 yds, one with the same pellets as mine. Groups of 1" would give you a good chance of scoring hits on the chicken targets which are about 1.5"X1" at 10 yds. With groups of 2", hitting a chicken would be mostly luck and not fun at all. I hope that clears up the situation.

So the plan is to try some different pellets and if that doesn't work I will be asking for recommendations.

1377x

yeah that happens sometimes there are lemons
i had one but after i put a new barrel on it it was back to one holing it.
there is a 12" barrel available so far no bad complaints .it will bring your power up some and give you a longer sight picture
the barrels are cheap around $10-$12 plus $4 shipping
you can lighten the trigger pull and leave it alone if you wish
closed mouths dont get fed

airguns100

Quote from: ingrahal on December 26, 2012, 03:49:19 AM
airguns100, thanks for the reply. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post. I'm not interested in starting an air pistol project right now, although I would love to in the future. My immediate goal is to have some fun shooting airgun sized silhouettes in the back yard. I didn't mean to compare the Marauder rifle to the 2240. I was using the MRod to verify that the pellets were ok. Also I did account for the wind by moving indoors when I tested the guns in the vise. I totally get that a stock 2240 is going to have shortcomings, but there were so many positive reviews reporting the accuracy to be excellent that I was convinced they would do the trick. A 2" group at 10 yds is not acceptable for any pistol as far as I'm concerned except maybe an airsoft pistol. I viewed a couple of video reviews in which the stock 2240 got 1" or less groups at 10 yds, one with the same pellets as mine. Groups of 1" would give you a good chance of scoring hits on the chicken targets which are about 1.5"X1" at 10 yds. With groups of 2", hitting a chicken would be mostly luck and not fun at all. I hope that clears up the situation.

So the plan is to try some different pellets and if that doesn't work I will be asking for recommendations.

I comprehend completely , Art.

As 1377 mentioned: -unfortunately- sometimes a lemon can sneak past quality control.
I honestly hope that's not the case with your newly acquired plinker, and it's just something simple. I remember reading about a situation with person that had the exact same issues with their 2240, apparently the barrel had a small burr around the feed, it caused the pellet to deform upon loading, equalling wild shot patterns, i believe barrel change or a quick high speed polish cured the problem.

If a new tin of pellets doesn't remedy the situation, and even though you've taken the gun apart, I believe Crosman might still perform a "repair" if you make it clear your not looking for a refund and you'd be willing to cover shipping? if all else fails.

They seem to be pretty fair about things like that. 

keep us informed,

-Rye
The OG gangster of the "bling"

JEBert

Some barrels are very pellet picky.  Some will shoot almost anything you put in them.  If your new pellets don't perform well, you might try sticking a Q-tip into the barrel crown and pulling it back out.  If there are any burrs, the cotton will catch on them.  I would try touching up the crown even if there aren't any burrs and if there are, I would re-crown it.  As bad as it is shooting,you have nothing to lose, even if you mess it up, you are going to need a new barrel anyway and as Ed mentioned, barrels from Crosman are cheap.
Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

ingrahal

Rye, JEbert, I'll take another look at the barrels. One thing I did notice, with the barrel out in my hand, I inserted a pellet and used a rod to push it through. At the chamber it was not smooth going in. Felt like it was catching on the shoulder at the gas port but I didn't know whether this was normal or not. I'll let you all know what I find. Thanks for the suggestions.

WyoMan

Hi ingrahal,
This link has my research on fliers:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/message/1346339543/Fliers+Revisited----%AD
As far as the barrel, it needs to be clean and the end needs to be good....like this:

This gun shot perfectly......
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

ingrahal

Wyo, So that's the new Gummy barrel I"ve been hearing about. LOL! :) Nice work on the list. I saved that one to my favorites.

I took another look at the barrels and can't see anything obvious. I'll try honing the shoulder at the transfer port and recrowning one of them. As mentioned I have nothing to lose at this point.

1377x

Quote from: ingrahal on December 27, 2012, 03:01:43 AM
Rye, JEbert, I'll take another look at the barrels. One thing I did notice, with the barrel out in my hand, I inserted a pellet and used a rod to push it through. At the chamber it was not smooth going in. Felt like it was catching on the shoulder at the gas port but I didn't know whether this was normal or not. I'll let you all know what I find. Thanks for the suggestions.
sounds like a burr if it damages the pellet at all it will affect accuracy/shooting patterns
closed mouths dont get fed

ingrahal

Since I'm waiting on the pellets to arrive I thought I'd try to show you what the bore of these barrels looks like. Both barrels pass the cotton swab test for burrs but they seem to have a rough surface on the rifling. When pushing the pellet through the barrel it feels rough even after cleaning.