Two new 2240's

Started by ingrahal, December 24, 2012, 05:49:12 PM

breakfastchef

One thing to remember about cleaning - we should be managing the lead, not removing it completely. Lead provides a nice slippery surface for the pellets, which is why you need to re-lead the barrel, after a thorough cleaning, before accuracy kicks in. As Quickster has pointed out in another thread, you really do not need to clean your barrel (excluding brand new barrels) until you start having accuracy problems. And then, just pulling a few patches through is all you should need to do.

I recall discussions in the past stating that AG barrels are softer than PB barrels so I do no use bore pastes or brushes in my barrels so as to avoid damaging the rifling.
Larry

DaveB50

I only used the brush for an initial cleaning as suggested by airgunweb on youtube. He said that a lot of barrels are left dirty, gummy, from the manufacturer, possibly to protect them from rust. I did this on my Trail NP also, and it shoots 1/2" groups at 10 yards after only a hundred rounds. My 2240 already shoots better than I can see, waiting on my red dot to see how good it is at longer than 15 feet. I cannot get a good bead on the target past that with open sights. Further cleanings will be as you suggest, only on loss of accuracy. There is a lot to learn about airguns, much more than I thought when I purchased my first one 30+ years ago.
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077