BONE STOCK!

Started by mudduck48, May 04, 2013, 11:01:25 PM

Trophyhunter49

DaveB50

Quote from: mudduck48 on May 09, 2013, 03:01:09 AM
I'm learning that if you want Quality you have to buy the old Crosman guns.

Same here, I've wanted a Sheridan Blue Streak for awhile now, and figured I'd better get one now, since they are going to quit making them. After hearing about all the accuracy and pump arm problems with them, I bought a '97 model. Same with the 1377's, the new ones seemed kind of flimsy when pumping them, so I got an '87 model and it feels so much more solid. Crosman QC is fading away.
Dave
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

mudduck48

Quality control,  ??? what is that?
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Trophyhunter49

;)  It is like us, older is better  ;)  Yes the older the better  ;)

JEBert

QuoteHave to believe that it was just a bad month on the production line.  You know how March can be.
So that's what is wrong with me.  I have a March birthday.
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Trophyhunter49

Quote from: JEBert on May 09, 2013, 05:58:08 AM
So that's what is wrong with me.  I have a March birthday.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cwlongshot

Quote from: DaveB50 on May 09, 2013, 03:47:54 AM
Same here, I've wanted a Sheridan Blue Streak for awhile now, and figured I'd better get one now, since they are going to quit making them. After hearing about all the accuracy and pump arm problems with them, I bought a '97 model
Dave

I LOVE my Dans!!

Send that 97 out to California and let Tim do a steroid service to it!!  He will fix up all that cheap junk and you will get back a Dan to be proud of!

I have one out with him now. I should be getting the cal from him next month its all done!!

CW
BENJAMIN's: 392PA '11 • Marauder .25 • MAC1 tuned Disco .22 • 397P Nickle '81

CROSMAN's:  1389 Back Packer .20 '86 • Hawthorne M140 4th variant • 357 W/8'' '90 • 760 '75 • 1377 '13 CARBINE LOTS ''O'' Mods • 2200 Magnum '81 (First Gen) • 2100 '13 • 2240 '13 

DAISY's:  25 '10 • Red Ryder • 22X • 922

DIANA's:  34 .22 '05 (RWS)

SHERIDAN's:  Blue Streak '82  Steroid • Blue Streak '65 Steroid • Blue Streak '70 • Blue Streak '72 • C9 Blue Streak

WEBLY's:  Longbow .177 • Hurricane  .177

XISICO's:  XS60c .22 PCP

Viper1357

Quote from: Brent on May 09, 2013, 02:05:12 AM
I sure hope so! It is getting pretty discouraging!! :(

Hard to believe they could not just see those off centered front sights easy enough! Makes one wonder if there is actually even a person looking or not... at the end of the build for QC  ???

When it doesn't even look right, and a defect is in plain sight, that really is negligent on their part. No excuse really, if it is staring in your face that obvious. Tubes drilled wrong, barrels installed wrong... that's not little stuff.

That's 3 now here, all within a week. Personally has made me decide to hold up on a new 2240 for a month or so, in hopes that they flush this out. When Rich got his, and it looked, worked, and even shot really well from the get go - that actually got me more serious to just pull the trigger on one (so to speak lol)

I actually feel bad for those people that got a bad build, and don't know how to fix it, or even that they have a bad one at all. Sure hope they return them, so Crosman has to deal with the hassle and extra expense. That should raise a red flag, and hopefully have someone in management answering for it. With the bad taste left behind of this, it is not going to take long for their reputation to be affected, and sales hurt for it. Retailers are also not going to like the hassles and extra expenses of it all either.

edit - they need to get their rear sight problem worked out too. That has gone on long enough! Tired of hearing (and me actually having to), of people needing to lengthen the slot in the sight blade for it to sight correctly. If it is not able to be shot/ made accurate out of the box... how many general customers are getting disgusted with Crosman there.

Make that 4 this week... Mine came yesterday, but I couldn't get to it til today.. I plan on a posting a review, but I do have to admit I was frustrated at first with the same front sight canted to left issue, rear sights loose and twisted slightly, and grips still loose after tightening as much as I could w/o stripping. etc..

Now even with all that, I am still happy with it. (more in my upcoming review post) Suffice it to say I found I could (being slightly mechanically inclined) physically move the front sight with some hand/finger strength effort (it seems to be pressed on only?) and the rears needed to be fiddled with (same with both my older 1377's) to get them sighted in straight. Also the grips (just like my 1377s) will need some gasket or something to stop them from moving, etc.. But After all that monkeying around, I have to say for my limited experience, this 2240 is a dang powerful and accurate Co2 pistol for the money.

So, for under $60, I guess you get power and accuracy, but you have to dink around with cheap, out of spec components and assembly, QC issues that 'usually' can be fixed by us end users. I don't see Crosman really addressing this to the degree that it will go away, the way things are made now-a-days. The QC systems and standards instituted by manufacturing companies are supposed to weed out these issues, but unfortunately the $$ bottom line (more units per hour/dollar)  tends to override the quality standards. I am not saying this is okay, or I believe this is acceptable, just I understand it's a reality that to some degree we'll have to deal with it each in our own way, and per situation.  ???

As of right now, I'll leave mine "Bone Stock", but it is a nice base gun if I want to stick some more money into it!   :)

- Never said "I wasn't good with a pellet pistol", just said, "I didn't have much need for one."

DaveB50

The 2240 seems to be good functionally, I enjoy shooting mine. Yes, the front sight is just pushed on, you can remove it by tapping it forward with a wood block and hammer. The 1701P grips fit and feel better than the originals, they are $1.58 per side from Crosman parts dept. QC issues like these usually stem from cost cutting measures, employees being pushed to meet quotas, and no one inspecting at the end of the line. That is what killed off a lot of US car manufacturing years ago.  Enjoy your new gun, and watch out for the mod bug, it bites real hard, and there's no cure but $$$ :P:D :D :D
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

BDS

Viper: good comments and a practical viewpoint... it's a $60 pistol at the end of the day and that's what we get. Still... Gross defects should not be tolerated and you should not have to fix them so, look closely while the warranty is still there. Oh ya... that front sight is just a friction fit on a flat milled into the barrel, if it's loose, one wrap of thin tape on the barrel and re-install the sight.

Have fun...  :-*
Brian

Trophyhunter49

:) :) Hey guys my 2240 came in today!! No problem with the front site (straight as an arrow) ;D Was proud of that!  Date on the gun is 313 . Maybe I got the 1st one they ran with QC standing there with them! Duck I know this is your post but I made a few pics of how it shot at 10 meters. I don't see that well anymore and my hand is not as was 20 years ago!  ;D ;D

quickster47 †

Quote from: Trophyhunter49 on May 10, 2013, 11:59:18 PM
:) :) Hey guys my 2240 came in today!! No problem with the front site (straight as an arrow) ;D Was proud of that!  Date on the gun is 313 . Maybe I got the 1st one they ran with QC standing there with them! Duck I know this is your post but I made a few pics of how it shot at 10 meters. I don't see that well anymore and my hand is not as was 20 years ago!  ;D ;D

Great shooting and it does look like you have a real keeper.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Trophyhunter49

Thx Quickster47.  I'm goin to keep it stock for a week or two,(or when I get some extra cash LOL) then its MODSVILLE for it!  LOL ;D ;D ;D

RFnut

New to the group and new to air guns. Got my new 2240 today. born on 2/13. Sights look good. Will shoot it on Sunday. Can you believe it, I got a new gun, but no CO2 or pellets. LOL Was not expecting delivery today. She sure is pretty. Got to clean her up now.
2240 Stock
Homemade In Work

Trophyhunter49

Welcome RFnut. Man you should have had the co2 and pellet on the day yuo oredered it!LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D