Rear sight......An addition to my steel breech project.

Started by Oldnshakey, May 17, 2012, 03:30:43 AM

Oldnshakey

Thanks KevinP and Sandpiper.  Like I have said before, I am not a machinists.  I wish I had half the knowledge a true machinists has to have. :)
Tom..........Two 2400kt's, 2240, Cr MKI, 1377, S&W 686 co2, Beeman P17 .

More pistols than I need but not as many as I want.

Oldnshakey

Quote from: tuckera on May 17, 2012, 12:54:49 PM
Awesome post!  I can't wait to see how you do the adjustments...
andy

Hint:  think Ruger! ;)  Thanks for watching.  Now off to go fishing on the Ohio River. ;D

sandpiper

Quote from: Oldnshakey on May 17, 2012, 02:07:29 PM
Thanks KevinP and Sandpiper.  Like I have said before, I am not a machinists.  I wish I had half the knowledge a true machinists has to have. :)

Is that a milling machine or a make shift drill press mill?

SaiCo

I truly envy those that have the knowledge and means to make parts like that.
Truly one of a kind, while the rest of us have to buy "off the rack" so to speak.
Warning labels thwart the purpose of Natural Selection

Oldnshakey

Quote from: sandpiper on May 17, 2012, 02:58:34 PM
Is that a milling machine or a make shift drill press mill?

It is larger and heavier built than the average drill press.  It is advertised as a mill/drill and is basically the same machine as these without the  power feeds or readouts.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=518&PMCTLG=00
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill-w-Variable-Speed-Power-Feed/G1007

Mine is an older Enco model, but looks just like the Enco on the left or the Grizzly machine.   Uses R8 collets and weighs around 600 lbs.

Oldnshakey

Quote from: SaiCo on May 17, 2012, 06:56:07 PM
I truly envy those that have the knowledge and means to make parts like that.
Truly one of a kind, while the rest of us have to buy "off the rack" so to speak.
Thank you.  I appreciate the comment.

sandpiper

Quote from: Oldnshakey on May 18, 2012, 01:55:31 AM
It is larger and heavier built than the average drill press.  It is advertised as a mill/drill and is basically the same machine as these without the  power feeds or readouts.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=518&PMCTLG=00
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill-w-Variable-Speed-Power-Feed/G1007

Mine is an older Enco model, but looks just like the Enco on the left or the Grizzly machine.   Uses R8 collets and weighs around 600 lbs.

I purchased a milling bit to stick in my Delta drill press. It didn't work at all  :(

Oldnshakey

Quote from: sandpiper on May 18, 2012, 03:31:43 AM
I purchased a milling bit to stick in my Delta drill press. It didn't work at all  :(
Most drill presses are not rigid enough and are not heavy enough to dampen vibrations.  Above all is a safety hazard.  A potentially dangerous problem is many drill chucks are held in place only by a tapered spindle and can shake loose when subjected to the side load and vibration of a milling cutter.  If cutting with the side of an end mill, the flutes are actually pulling the cutter and the chuck away from the machine.  A loose, spinning, milling cutter flying across the shop, or at the very least ruining your work, is not something one would want to experience. 

Long term, the bearings in a drill press are not designed to handle the side stresses milling creates.  Cross slide vises, while very handy for locating work for drilling, are usually not rigid enough for milling work, unless in relatively soft plastics or wood.  Even then, the possibility of the chuck and your sharp milling cutter coming off the spindle still exists.

sandpiper

Quote from: Oldnshakey on May 18, 2012, 05:37:45 AM
Most drill presses are not rigid enough and are not heavy enough to dampen vibrations.  Above all is a safety hazard.  A potentially dangerous problem is many drill chucks are held in place only by a tapered spindle and can shake loose when subjected to the side load and vibration of a milling cutter.  If cutting with the side of an end mill, the flutes are actually pulling the cutter and the chuck away from the machine.  A loose, spinning, milling cutter flying across the shop, or at the very least ruining your work, is not something one would want to experience. 

Long term, the bearings in a drill press are not designed to handle the side stresses milling creates.  Cross slide vises, while very handy for locating work for drilling, are usually not rigid enough for milling work, unless in relatively soft plastics or wood.  Even then, the possibility of the chuck and your sharp milling cutter coming off the spindle still exists.

I know exactly what you mean with the taper. My chuck was binding and needed to be replaced. After staring at it for a while then finally going to the internet, I figured out how to replace it. It's just a precision tapered fit that pops off then back on.

cheewee

Quote from: Oldnshakey on May 18, 2012, 05:37:45 AM

x2 
it is a risky bussiness and needs to be done with great care.
one also needs to think about the direction of cut and try to avoid "climb" milling
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

Oldnshakey

Quote from: cheewee on May 18, 2012, 06:22:05 PM
x2 
it is a risky bussiness and needs to be done with great care.
one also needs to think about the direction of cut and try to avoid "climb" milling

Exactly!  Very good point about the "climb" milling.

sandpiper

Quote from: Oldnshakey on May 19, 2012, 03:21:39 AM
Exactly!  Very good point about the "climb" milling.

OK Guys, someone please explain "mill climb".

breakfastchef

Quote from: sandpiper on May 19, 2012, 03:49:07 AM
OK Guys, someone please explain "mill climb".

I am guessing it is akin to a drill bit 'wandering' on a drill press.
Larry

cheewee

ok picture your cutter turning, now depending on which direction you feed the material into it one way it will be trying to push the material away(conventional) and the other the cutter will try to climb the material, the problem is that it also grabs the metal and drags it into the cutter. the problem is exagerated by exessive backlash in screws and can have disasterous results.
hell a picture is worth a thousand words let me see what i can do.

jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

sandpiper

Quote from: cheewee on May 19, 2012, 05:06:35 AM
ok picture your cutter turning, now depending on which direction you feed the material into it one way it will be trying to push the material away(conventional) and the other the cutter will try to climb the material, the problem is that it also grabs the metal and drags it into the cutter. the problem is exagerated by exessive backlash in screws and can have disasterous results.
hell a picture is worth a thousand words let me see what i can do.

Ahhh, great artwork  :-* Thank you.