Rear sight......An addition to my steel breech project.

Started by Oldnshakey, May 17, 2012, 03:30:43 AM

Oldnshakey

Quote from: arkmaker on May 20, 2012, 07:18:39 PM
If you ever want to use stainless and have to machine it, try 303 EZ

It is a free machining stainless and cuts extremely well. Drills and taps easy as well. The one drawback is that it is not meant for marine environments, like 304 and 316 SS's are. But, for our applications it will perform just fine. I made my breech out of it. Deep hole drilling was not a problem. In fact, I like it better than machining brass. And now for the shameless plug, I'll have to show you a pic of it.......

Rich

Very nice.  I like the stainless look very much.  Thanks for the tip on the type of stainless you used.
Tom..........Two 2400kt's, 2240, Cr MKI, 1377, S&W 686 co2, Beeman P17 .

More pistols than I need but not as many as I want.

Oldnshakey

You all may be getting tired of hearing about this, but this is the last photo series for the sight project.  It is officially finished.  I used some cold blue which could have been better, and I modified a plastic front sight which came with the 2240 to fit on my shroud for the barrel.  It seems to be the correct height for the adjustment range of my rear sight.  Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while ;) :P.

First a couple shots of the rear sight mounted on the 2240 close up.

PS:  In case anyone is wondering, the screw in front of the sight is for a spring and ball like used for the safety.  I put a small dimple in the probe to keep it shut and also to put a little drag on it to hold it open while loading a pellet.  I need to get a ball and spring to finish that little mod.

Oldnshakey

Now a photo of the modified front sight and finally the 2240 with the new sights.  Sorry for the dust and lint on the pics.  It didn't look that bad until I enlarged them on the screen.

Thanks to everyone who has followed this project and thank you for the kind comments.  I hope you enjoyed it as much as I.

arkmaker †

Dang! That's tough looking! You did a fantastic job on the sites  :-*   The whole overall look of the gun is unique!

That is a good idea to use a spring loaded ball bearing to keep the bolt in place. Mind if I use that idea? I was shooting today and had my bolt flop closed a bunch of times. This little mod seems to be the ticket to never having that happen again!

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Oldnshakey

Quote from: arkmaker on May 21, 2012, 02:05:16 AM
Dang! That's tough looking! You did a fantastic job on the sites  :-*   The whole overall look of the gun is unique!

That is a good idea to use a spring loaded ball bearing to keep the bolt in place. Mind if I use that idea? I was shooting today and had my bolt flop closed a bunch of times. This little mod seems to be the ticket to never having that happen again!

Rich
Thanks Rich.  I haven't actually got to use the ball and spring mod yet.  There won't be much room for the set screw, spring and ball.  I had ground down a setscrew to shorten it some, but didn't have a ball.  I tried making a short plunger type ball end, but it didn't work so well.  I may try another tomorrow.  You are certainly welcome to use the idea.  I know it works to hold the bolt back, but not sure if the dimple in the bolt is going to work.  I am going to make another probe anyway.

arkmaker †

I looked a using a valier set screw for something that evades my mind right now but it was to long. Maybe if the set screw is long enough, you could dimple it enough to hold the ball with a small dab of grease and then screw down until you have light friction and hold it in place with another dab of blue loc-tite on the threads??
Heck of a good idea, that I will pursue.

Rich

http://www.vlier.com/product_index/sld/bp_05_posihex.html
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

cheewee

looking really good sight is impressive. cant wait to see your next project
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

Oldnshakey

Quote from: arkmaker on May 21, 2012, 03:00:56 AM
I looked a using a valier set screw for something that evades my mind right now but it was to long. Maybe if the set screw is long enough, you could dimple it enough to hold the ball with a small dab of grease and then screw down until you have light friction and hold it in place with another dab of blue loc-tite on the threads??
Heck of a good idea, that I will pursue.

Rich

http://www.vlier.com/product_index/sld/bp_05_posihex.html
That type of set screw should work fine for this application.  I don't know if I could find them locally at Lowes or HD.  My spring will work OK if I get a ball small enough.  I thing the 3/32 used for the safety will work when I can get one.

Oldnshakey

Quote from: cheewee on May 21, 2012, 04:12:20 AM
looking really good sight is impressive. cant wait to see your next project
Thank you.  My next project will probably be one of the 2400KT.  I am thinking some wood and a wire stock to dress it up.

1377x

nice job!
cant wait to see what you do on the next project!
closed mouths dont get fed

Oldnshakey

Quote from: 1377x on May 21, 2012, 04:32:36 AM
nice job!
cant wait to see what you do on the next project!
Thank you.  I am looking forward to starting on the carbine.

Oldnshakey

Fronzdan

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this progress. I wish I had the tools and the skill to make parts!

I'm sure it's been asked before, but is that a shroud on the barrel or is that a bull barrel itself??  That 2240 is really nice looking.  And the new sight looks like it could take a beating and never go out of whack.

Oldnshakey

Quote from: Fronzdan on May 21, 2012, 09:56:00 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed watching this progress. I wish I had the tools and the skill to make parts!

I'm sure it's been asked before, but is that a shroud on the barrel or is that a bull barrel itself??  That 2240 is really nice looking.  And the new sight looks like it could take a beating and never go out of whack.
Thank you for the kind comments.  If you acquire the tools, the skill will come with a little work and reading on the net.  The sight is all steel, so it is rather sturdy.  The shroud is indeed, just that.  It is made of black delrin which I bought from Enco.com.  It is around $15.00 for a 4ft. length of 1" diameter stock.  Machines easily.  The barrel comes within 1/4" of the end of the shroud, so it is strictly decorative.