Rear sight......An addition to my steel breech project.

Started by Oldnshakey, May 17, 2012, 03:30:43 AM

Oldnshakey

Hello everyone!  Since completing my steel breech a little while back, I have been thinking about how I could make a rear sight.  Too cheap to buy one, besides, I thought it would be fun.  I am milling the sight from some steel bits and pieces I had lying around.  I wanted the rear sight to be adjustable for both windage and elevation.  I also wanted it to fit the dovetail I had cut in the steel breech when I built it.  The first photo shows the starting cuts made with a 3/8" straight end mill, and finished with a 45 degree dovetail cutter.
Tom..........Two 2400kt's, 2240, Cr MKI, 1377, S&W 686 co2, Beeman P17 .

More pistols than I need but not as many as I want.

Oldnshakey

After getting the block to fit the dovetail of the 2240 with my steel breech, I was ready to start shaping the sight. To do this, I again used a straight endmill and a 45 degree bevel cutter.

Oldnshakey

The sight is starting to take shape after the profile is cut out on the mill.

Oldnshakey

The actual moveable part of the sight is simplt a "T" shape which is cut to somewhat the same profile as the base of the sight.  I used a 1/16" pin (decapping pin from my reloading days) for the pivot to allow for elevation adjustment.  Drilling through both parts and keeping the hole straight was a little tricky, but after only one broken drill (1/16") I made it through the nearly 3/4" steel.  Now you can see how the base is taking shape on the breech and how both parts are fitting together.

Oldnshakey

Here, the adjustable part of the sight is taking shape.  This is the end for the project for tonight.  More to come later.  Hope you enjoy this little project.

breakfastchef

Larry

1377x

closed mouths dont get fed

Oldnshakey

Thanks breakfastchef and 1377X.  I appreciate the comments.  I will show more when I get a chance to work on it again, maybe tomorrow night.  Going fishing first ;).

PS: Mods, please move this thread if you wish.  It probably should have gone in the Crosman Co2 technical/mods forum.  I had a senior moment and put it in the wrong place, I think.

1377x

Quote from: Oldnshakey on May 17, 2012, 05:45:29 AM
Thanks breakfastchef and 1377X.  I appreciate the comments.  I will show more when I get a chance to work on it again, maybe tomorrow night.  Going fishing first ;).

PS: Mods, please move this thread if you wish.  It probably should have gone in the Crosman Co2 technical/mods forum.  I had a senior moment and put it in the wrong place, I think.
not a problem as the mod can work on any steel breeched gun! well dovetailed breech i guess
keep up the good work!!
good luck fishing!
closed mouths dont get fed

Oldnshakey

Quote from: 1377x on May 17, 2012, 05:57:03 AM
not a problem as the mod can work on any steel breeched gun! well dovetailed breech i guess
keep up the good work!!
good luck fishing!

plasticclassic

looking good, wish I could make my own stuff like, it really hurt me to pay $40 for the LPA rear sight from Crosman, and I won't even know if I like it until it gets here

Oldnshakey

Quote from: plasticclassic on May 17, 2012, 06:55:42 AM
looking good, wish I could make my own stuff like, it really hurt me to pay $40 for the LPA rear sight from Crosman, and I won't even know if I like it until it gets here

Thanks plasticclassic.  I didn't want to pay the $40 either.  If I calculate my time, I will have made about $2-3 dollars per hour for this little job. ;D  Don't even want to think about the tooling.  Oh well, it's another hobby. ???

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

sandpiper

I could look at machining pics all day long. Great work  :-*

tuckera

Awesome post!  I can't wait to see how you do the adjustments...
andy