Rear sight......An addition to my steel breech project.

Started by Oldnshakey, May 17, 2012, 03:30:43 AM

gdm620

Great work on the sight Oldnshakey.  :-*  It is fun doing your own work.  Machining is not as easy as one might think untill you learn the tricks of the trade then it get easier.  I'm still learning.  Never had any classes on it but have been around some people who do machining for a living.  I have learned alot from them.  The biggest thing with machining is the right tooling.  That is the difference from a fair part to a great part when done.  And of course the knowledge to use the tooling.
Gary
Crosman 1322
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
.177 PCP target pistol
2300kt with LW barrel

cheewee

ok oldnshakey back to it i want to see how you finish this up :)
great work by the way :-*
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

arkmaker †

Great work!! Looks like you will have yourself a really nice site  :-* :-*
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Oldnshakey

Thank you Gary, Jeff and arkmaker.  I did get some more work done today on the sight.  It is still rather rough, but it is functional and ready for smoothing and bluing.  BTWm Cheewee, great explanation and picture for the "climb" milling.  Climb milling can be done on a machine such as mine, and also on heavier machines.  I have used the climb milling with very light cuts and with the gibs snugged up on the tables.  It is said to give a smoother finish cut by not dragging chips under the cutter to mar the finish. 

Anyway, here are a few more photos of the sight, still a work in progress.  Lots of smoothing to do.

I drilled and tapped two 6-32 holes through the base block.  One is for a grub screw to lock the sight to the dovetail of the breech.  The other is for the elevation screw.  I put a spring between the two parts of the sight to keep tension in the upwards direction against the elevation adjusting screw. 

The sight blade is one from a Ruger sight.  It was a spare I had in the junk drawer after replacing it with a white outline rear blade on a powderburner many years ago.  Ruger used this slot and blade arrangement, but with a spring on one side and only one screw for windage adjustment.  I have used two screws, one on either side to push and lock the blade for windage.

Once I determine the correct height for the front sight, I think this will work well enough.  Not as neat as a store bought sight, but once finished, it will be OK.
Tom..........Two 2400kt's, 2240, Cr MKI, 1377, S&W 686 co2, Beeman P17 .

More pistols than I need but not as many as I want.

breakfastchef

Very much like the Crosman Mark I & II sight. A very good one to reproduce. I want one!
Larry

Oldnshakey

Here is a photo of the sight installed on the breech I made to start this project.  It may be a little bulky looking, but I am hoping after it is blued, it will not look quite so large.  Not shown in the pictures, but I modified a plastic Crosman front sight to try for the front.  I don't think it is goint to be tall enough, but will give me a starting point.  I didn't show it because I have it held in place with black electrical tape :-[.

Oldnshakey

Quote from: breakfastchef on May 20, 2012, 06:12:47 AM
Very much like the Crosman Mark I & II sight. A very good one to reproduce. I want one!
Thanks Larry.  I'm afraid it will never go into production.  I have too many hours in it to be able to make them to sell.

1377x

closed mouths dont get fed

Oldnshakey

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

gdm620

I'm impressed!!  Looks great.   :-*   It would be nice to have one out of stainless but man that stuff is hard to machine.  Yours is going to look great finished up.   :-* :-*
Gary
Crosman 1322
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
.177 PCP target pistol
2300kt with LW barrel

Oldnshakey

Thank you KevinP.  I appreciate the kind words.

Thank you gdm620.  I agree, stainless would be nice.  I have never tried machining stainless, but I have tried tapping a couple holes and it was very difficult.

arkmaker †

If you ever want to use stainless and have to machine it, try 303 EZ

It is a free machining stainless and cuts extremely well. Drills and taps easy as well. The one drawback is that it is not meant for marine environments, like 304 and 316 SS's are. But, for our applications it will perform just fine. I made my breech out of it. Deep hole drilling was not a problem. In fact, I like it better than machining brass. And now for the shameless plug, I'll have to show you a pic of it.......

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

gdm620

Gary
Crosman 1322
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
.177 PCP target pistol
2300kt with LW barrel

sandpiper

Quote from: arkmaker on May 20, 2012, 07:18:39 PM
If you ever want to use stainless and have to machine it, try 303 EZ

And now for the shameless plug, I'll have to show you a pic of it.......

Rich

We like shameless plugs. Keep those pics coming. Nice work  :-*